My assemblage of blood, sweat, and curse words

Here's where she stands as of now. Everything finally works, though not perfectly.

P1040838.jpg

Retirement is finally fun!

P1040831.jpg

Just wait till you have real issues like another member of this forum, and he has good knowledge on fixing motor bikes.
Reports like this make me feel like a newbie every time :D

All the research isn't helping, the SOB will not run!
So i'm ready to ditch this pos soon, I just cant be stuffed wasting all this time on it when my two perfectly good motorcrossers in the shed could be doing with my TLC
Ive also used 1/2 can of quick start which appears to do nothing really, the floats are set fine, needle & seat clean, clip set 3 from top, so everything is set for it to run, so why isnt it?
Come this morning dead as a dodo!
stripped it all down again, put a second o-ring inside the carb throat because the connection seems real crap tried clip at top and bottom and shes dead as a dead thing.
POS I say. life is too short, the Chinese can stop laughing at me now, they have me beaten with their utter crap.
What a total waste of time and money
judging by the hrs and $ people are spending on these garbage cans, its a full time dedication which i will reserve for my current passion
2 weeks of my life wasted and I'm calling it, Its to the tip tomorrow.
Couldn't sleep last night trying to work out why this thing wont start, it has to start!

Good advice, Jaguar. My primary goal was to just get the thing working, after the disaster with the first motor (which will henceforth be referred to as 'spare parts').

This motor is in mostly factory spec, for now. I've altered nothing except what I really needed for easier starting. I see that most mods seem to be for speed enhancement. I have no doubt that they also have benefits for those of us who aren't into speed.

I still have those acorn nuts on the head. When my new gasket arrives, that will change. I'll also polish the mating parts of the head. My muffler also fell apart as soon as I started riding. New one has been ordered. I also ordered a dual-pull brake lever, so I don't need three hands to stop the bike.

My wife says I should have just bought a scooter instead of building this thing. Where's the fun in that? A scooter won't make you lose sleep and knuckle flesh. You just ride it ;)

I think you are holding onto a common misconception about engine mods. Most of them give you more power throughout the whole rpm range, not just adding top speed.
To increase top speed you can raise the exhaust port and the piston skirt.
To increase power throughout you can 1) increase the engine compression, 2) redirect the transfers rearward, 3) put on a Dellorto carb, 4) fabricate a torque pipe (or buy one from me)

I'm also curious about lengthening the intake manifold. If I understand correctly, that increases low-speed torque because it increases the volume of gas/air mix that is available to the engine during each stroke.

I'm not sure what you mean by "redirect the transfers rearward". Can you clarify? Do you mean exhaust transfer?

the longer intake allows more mixture to enter the crankcase due to a cramming effect due to inertia.

click on my signature link and read the section on correcting the transfers.

All of my engine modifications are aimed at improving low and midrange torque between 2,500 - 4,000 rpm.

The best single item is a reed valve intake, and Rock Solid Engines manufactures the best reed valve intake for standard engines.

The next best thing is a Jaguar CDI which lets you reduce the ignition curve to prevent detonation when fitting a higher compression cylinder head. The cylinder head on my bike is the awesome (medium compression) twin spark plug CR Machine Manufacturing billet cylinder head, as it has the greatest cooling surface area of any head i've come across, and it's available in both medium and high compression versions.

The other item on the list is a diaphragm carburettor, which allows adjustment of the low and high speed circuits with a simple twist of a screw driver. No more messing around with jets and spilling fuel everywhere taking the carburettor apart.
I've tried all of the float style carbs (genuine Dellorto, clone Dellorto as well as the standard NT) and went back to the standard NT carburettor, that is until the diaphragm carby was fitted. I've never looked back after fitting the diaphragm carburettor, and the thing doesn't leak fuel as all the float style carby's seem to do.

That looks kinda like my bike. :p I feel you man..curse words..pains..when i built mine I had so many bugs to work out...most days I wanted to dig out the die grinder and chop the thing up for scrap...I am so glad I didn't and actually got it running good. That's a pretty nice machine you've got there! I hope nothing else goes wrong!

when i built mine I had so many bugs to work out...most days I wanted to dig out the die grinder and chop the thing up for scrap...

That's exactly how i felt for two years; engineering and reengineering parts and components to give total reliability.

I am so glad I didn't and actually got it running good.

The brightest rainbow comes after the worst storm and in my case i endured a ferocious storm that lasted 2 years. The beauty of the rainbow that followed can't be described by words.

My bike has become more a work of art than a piece of equipment !!!

Back