My Basic MAB

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by cruiser66, Sep 21, 2007.

1. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Here is my basic motor assisted bike. Not too pretty, but pretty functional. It's about 98% done which means there will always something else to tweak or add on. Hope the uploads work OK...

Attached Files:

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice lookin 4 stroker !!!
    more and more are showing up !!!
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

indeed, a nice "basic" 4-stroke install, a perfect example & great pics :)

not so basic the bicycle, tho...look at all the doodads!

very cool :cool:
  4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It looks like you've got the bells and whistles. Cool.
  5. Very nice ride.

With that much stuff it looks like it is one of those Transformers about to morph at any time:grin:

What is the plastic bottle for under the petrol tank:?:
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

air-horn. those things are supposedy really loud!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  7. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Plastic bottle

Augi is right about the air horn. It is loud - too loud for pedestrians. That's why I have my GPS (compass/bell) to the left of it. I learned the importance of being heard while riding my big motorized bike (1978 Suzuki GS1000). One of the first upgrades for that was a pair of BMW horns. They are louder than the air horn.
  8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I figured the bell was for pedestrians. The horn is for SUV's?
  9. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Yea. The horn is good for any situation where bell power doesn't cut it. One thing about our bikes is that we are more tuned into our surroundings than the forms of transportation that try to duplicate all the creature comforts and distractions of being in our own homes. You just have to assume that the other guy isn't paying as much attention to you as you are to him.... Defensive driving lesson 1.
  10. Nice ride! Just want to ask something. Can you start that 4 stroke like a happy time,or do you need to pull start it? I noticed all the 4 strokes have a pull starter. Is the compression too strong...or is it a centrifical clutch? If it's a centrifical clutch,imagine a hand clutch eliminating the pull starter and about an inch or so in engine width.
  11. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Pull start only. Centrifugal clutchs freewheel if the bike speed is higher than the motor speed so pedal starting is out. Compression feels like starting a chainsaw. Pretty easy. These engines would pedal start with a regular clutch and you wouldn't need a pull start. It looks like these 4 strokes are originally intented for other than bike use and that is one reason for the pull start. I might try building a 2 stroke someday just to see how it feels with the narrow engine. 4 stroke kits weigh a bit more - about 25 pounds total weight. I think 2 strokes come in at 9 or 10 pounds less....
  12. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

More accurate way of describing a centrifugal clutch is to say that it does not engage with engine speeds below about 2000 rpm. So if the motor is not running, the clutch will not engage (freewheels) no matter how fast you pedal.
  13. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Very nice mini thumper!
  14. Proboscis

Proboscis Guest

Is that a tach right in front of the gas tank?
  15. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Yes, that is a tach and hour meter. It displays engine speed up to 13000 rpm when the engine is running. It shows the accumulated run time when the engine is shut down. Got it from for about 27 dollars US.
  16. Proboscis

Proboscis Guest

Sweet, a hour meter too. Thanks for the link, just ordered one
  17. highrider

highrider Guest

wow, 4 stroker with all the trimmings, you must be rich!:shock:
  18. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Not exactly, Highrider. The bike is 14 years old and a lot of the stuff was added on over the years. I'm a bargain hunter and don't mind surfing the web for good prices. Many of the items on the bike cost about $8-$9. I really went overboard with the $37 Planet Bike Superflash taillight because I bought it locally. Could have got it for half the price on the internet if I wanted to wait for shipping. Ya just got to get what you can afford one piece at a time. I consider this a great hobby as well as fun transportation.
    Think of all the money you save on gas, insurance, registration fees, etc.
  19. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Beautiful bike. Next someone will create some sort of dashboard.:smile:
    It looks like it's a lot of fun to ride. How do you get that insert mirror to stay in? I bought one, but it pops out after 2 or 3 minutes of riding. I've tired wrapping rubber around the insert. Did you spray or put something sticky inside the handle bar?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  20. cruiser66

cruiser66 Guest

Thanks Scott. That dashboard idea sounds cool. Maybe you should look into developing it. In any case, the mirror actually is not a permanent mount. It mounts on the outside of the handlebar grip and is fastened by velcro. It works well because your hand is actually holding on to it when you ride and the fastening system holds on well. Here's some details at:

I got it at Target for $5 or $6.