My BMX build

ok well here it is im new to the forum and the bike isnt quit finished yet though I am expecting maybe this weekend it will get started up for the first time. Only thing stopping it right now is to chop down the drive shaft and to give the guide tube a propper bend to allow it to still spin without any problem. Note though as being the prototype one cant peddle it in this setup you will see in the following pictures.
Also it still needs breaks figured I should mention that haha. But anyways this is it so far

Attachments

• 080313_213900.jpg
    080313_213900.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,598
  • 080313_213930.jpg
    080313_213930.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 080313_214002.jpg
    080313_214002.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 080313_214023.jpg
    080313_214023.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 694
  • 080313_235358.jpg
    080313_235358.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 768
ok so alittle enough on some things prolly first thing is whats that solver thing sticking off the left side of the back tire right well thats where the drive shaft is going to hook into. Oh if you missed my intro post this bike isnt going to be chain or belt drivin it will have a flex shaft drive system :). What you dont see is the frame now has radial bearings and a fiked axel/hub. The rest is pretty common stuff weedeater for motor troybuilt is the brand its a 31cc 2-stroke so I figure what about 2 hp atleast. I can easily pick this bike up with one arm and hold it over my head which is nice since I may bring it inside I do happen to live above a bar and the last thing I need is a fat drunk red-neck trying to take this thing for a spin cause oh it is just to tempting not to. And about the orange around the right grip I cut the grip off and that just happened to be a sleeve off of a PTO adapter I found at the store I work for which got chopped up and shoved inside the rear hub so it would be able to engage the drive shaft head so when I decided I was going to need the grip back on there I just slid that plastic mesh over to hold it on tell I replace the grips with new ones once I get down to the finishing touches like when I make some body panels to help air flow to the airbox which well help sheild it from exhaust heat and hopefully inprove top end performace sense it will prolly act as a air ram at higher speeds will have a nice air filter and everything then I also have to work out a exhaust setup. I dont like ordering stuff sense it so hard for me to recieve the packages in my current living conditions its just a pain in my butt so I am opting to totally custom build this thing so I will prolly join you all in trying to make a decent tuned exhaust guess I should figure out what the air displacement of the engine to figure the proper back presure for the exhaust aslo prolly should take into acount the air box thing I will build and all that but I think I will just take some soft sheet steel cut a pattern .out of it sorta kidney shape in terms that will be just rolled into a exhaust shape and rapped in exhaust repair tape should help keep heat in the exhaust to dont need and burns I figure if it can fix a car exhaust it should handle a 2-stroke exhaust. I dunno its alot for me to figure out but its all got to be rattling around up in my head already. But thats enough talk.

Here is sorta what I invision for this bike with the paneling and how the front panels will look. Will also help streamline the whole overal bike profile. Hand drawn from by me :)

Attachments

• 080314_010026.jpg
    080314_010026.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 780
  • 080314_010103.jpg
    080314_010103.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 516
ok last one for tonight well today this is a quick sketch I just did of what the enternals of the airbox is sorta going to be like with prolly screen covering the front openign to keep dirt out or somethin and sheilding to block off that area of the frame inside the panels to make a air box thats away from the exhaust.

Attachments

• 080314_014007.jpg
    080314_014007.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 080314_014027.jpg
    080314_014027.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 489
  • 080314_014141.jpg
    080314_014141.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 436
  • 080314_014214.jpg
    080314_014214.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 483
  • 080314_014228.jpg
    080314_014228.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 473
well when I get home tonight I will sketch up how the drive works. Its really not to complicated the only thing I worry about is power loss at the union to the wheel cause theres gears in that silver thing to change it to an almost 90 degree output.

I say almost 90 degree because its not sense its the actual weed eater head that would be on the shat its prolly closer to 45 degrees so its at the right cutting angle which is making me think that I will need to turn my engine out a bit more so that the curve on the flex shaft isnt so great it would be nice if it was a true 90 degree then I could just use a sold straight shaft but alas I am working with commonly found parts for this build. I will prolly be posting pics of the drive setup tonight sense I bought a new coupler for inside the hub (same as the current one but I need to cut it up right this time to hopefully get rid of some wobble on the tire either that or my rim isnt true (when it was still a bike the bearings blew out while I was riding the thing causeing some very sore knees and scrapped up calves when it all came apart on me nothing like pushing a bike across town with a locked up rear wheel) Oh well back to work lunch breaks are never long enough. Maybe I will look into the lighting stuff when I get back over to radio shack. Its what I do when Im bored at work that usually gets my projects farther along. You all have a great day. Oh from what im looking at on the bike I may be starting it up tomarrow no matter what.

ok here it goes I drew up what the drive shaft and everything is going to look like I sorta took the wheel apart to fix some things that where bugging me and it has made me change my mind about what I was going to use exactly alittle. So heres what your going to see in the next photos hand drawn mind you. What your not going to see is that the hub of the tire while be secured to the 3/4 inch socket by 3 set screws and the radial bearings are mounted in the frame so the axel and tire can spin still and yeah thats it I think.

Attachments

• 080314_234358.jpg
    080314_234358.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 538
  • 080314_234505.jpg
    080314_234505.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 481
  • 080314_234519.jpg
    080314_234519.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 080314_234558.jpg
    080314_234558.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 471
  • 080314_234630.jpg
    080314_234630.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 475
A very interesting idea. I'll be watching your progress. Please take lots of pictures as you go.

BMX bike motor setup

ok so alittle enough on some things prolly first thing is whats that solver thing sticking off the left side of the back tire right well thats where the drive shaft is going to hook into. Oh if you missed my intro post this bike isnt going to be chain or belt drivin it will have a flex shaft drive system :). What you dont see is the frame now has radial bearings and a fiked axel/hub. The rest is pretty common stuff weedeater for motor troybuilt is the brand its a 31cc 2-stroke so I figure what about 2 hp atleast. I can easily pick this bike up with one arm and hold it over my head which is nice since I may bring it inside I do happen to live above a bar and the last thing I need is a fat drunk red-neck trying to take this thing for a spin cause oh it is just to tempting not to. And about the orange around the right grip I cut the grip off and that just happened to be a sleeve off of a PTO adapter I found at the store I work for which got chopped up and shoved inside the rear hub so it would be able to engage the drive shaft head so when I decided I was going to need the grip back on there I just slid that plastic mesh over to hold it on tell I replace the grips with new ones once I get down to the finishing touches like when I make some body panels to help air flow to the airbox which well help sheild it from exhaust heat and hopefully inprove top end performace sense it will prolly act as a air ram at higher speeds will have a nice air filter and everything then I also have to work out a exhaust setup. I dont like ordering stuff sense it so hard for me to recieve the packages in my current living conditions its just a pain in my butt so I am opting to totally custom build this thing so I will prolly join you all in trying to make a decent tuned exhaust guess I should figure out what the air displacement of the engine to figure the proper back presure for the exhaust aslo prolly should take into acount the air box thing I will build and all that but I think I will just take some soft sheet steel cut a pattern .out of it sorta kidney shape in terms that will be just rolled into a exhaust shape and rapped in exhaust repair tape should help keep heat in the exhaust to dont need and burns I figure if it can fix a car exhaust it should handle a 2-stroke exhaust. I dunno its alot for me to figure out but its all got to be rattling around up in my head already. But thats enough talk.

Here is sorta what I invision for this bike with the paneling and how the front panels will look. Will also help streamline the whole overal bike profile. Hand drawn from by me :)

Hello bennyboy,
Welcome to Motoredbikes.com.
What an awesome idea for motorizing a BMX bike. I thought about it myself, but trying to figure out how to get one in the small "v" of the frame stopped me. Looks like you have figured it out really well, great job. Definitely keep us all posted, we all get into new ideas like yours. I have a Boost Bottle boosted motorized mountain bike here on the site, just do a search on "quarkdude" and the pictures should come up. Again, Welcome to the family. ha ha
............................quarkdude

Back