My build, too much?

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by cycledude, Nov 27, 2009.

1. cycledude

cycledude Member

Man, I think I overdid it this time. LOL
    Could not help it tho, had most of the things lying around so I just took off on it.
    It weights more than I thought it would but it's pretty strong.
    Suggestions comments critiques Welcome.

Attached Files:

2. kerf

kerf Guest

Looks very good. If you were to buy lighter weight materials, what would you save, maybe 12 - 18 ounces, big deal. Hook her up and get down the road.

3. moondog

moondog Member

I like it. I would double locknut and loctite everything.

Looks very sturdy. :cool:

4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Definately won't break in a hurry.

5. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I would be sure to brace both sides.

6. cycledude

cycledude Member

Well after much cutting and grinding this is what it looks like now, I was going to round the edges a little more (dont like sharp edges) but that is going to have to wait.
    I am almost ready to mount, I hope mounting is not as hard as all the things I have had to do so far.

Attached Files:

• 1125.JPG
      1125.JPG
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
  7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Good job!

Are you using BMP friction drive components?

:idea:You can also use Staton rollers if you want to try 1.375" or 1.5" steel rollers, but you'd need to swap all BMP components to Staton.

Are your bearings slip-fit or press-fit on the aluminum housing?

8. cycledude

cycledude Member

I spent some time with the wrenches and I am sure all is tight, will brace strong, neat too, got me a little angle iron.
    I had to go with BMP, on a budget.
    I took the plates to a local shop, the one and three eight for the bearing was drilled with this special tool and it is very smooth, sometimes i have to press the bearing, other times it just slips in without force. I am happy with the results so far.
    I was going to cut something that looked like a fish, but there is more to cut yet, it will probably look like a canoe when I am finished. lol

9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Which engine will you be using and what size is your friction roller?

10. cycledude

cycledude Member

Aloha 57, I will be using a 1.25 self locking roller, and a gx35.
    I wanted to do the same set up for a gx50 but I could not get the part numbers right.
    I also don't have the right bike so I will be installing it on a 17" wheel bike and hope that it works.
    I don't want to install it on my 10 speed reconstructed french bike tho I was temted, but I would have to change tires, wheels, bla, bla.
    I would have gotten the 50 if I had the part numbers for the clutch bell with shaft, and the spacers.
    I like the idea of the 35, I am in it for the mpg now, if I want more power I ride my motorcycles.

11. cycledude

cycledude Member

Well, what do you guys think?
    Still need a comfier seat, oil, gas, perhaps a new handlebar, the gas control, bla, bla.
    I will get another bike eventually but the footprint from this little bike is great.
    I wanted a folding bike but they are like 300+ so I guess I have to take what comes.
    Great experience, you guys here are great, the forum is great.
    Will put oil and gas in it, and will started tomorrow after i get the gas control in today.
    Thrilled!

Attached Files:

• 1127.JPG
      1127.JPG
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
  12. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Be careful what you wish for, lol.

My first MB was a 20" Dahon folder w/Subaru 35cc. A perfect combination!

When I installed a TLE43cc Mitsubishi w/Staton chain drive, it became VERY squirrelly for me. I ended up removing the engine and giving away the folder.

It was a "widowmaker".:whistling:

All 26" bikes are much better handling, especially with more engine power.:detective:

13. cycledude

cycledude Member

Well now you have me seriously contemplating cutting this one in half and giving it to my X wife for a Christmas present.

14. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I bought a used Dahon on craigslist for $200. You could probably jew it down to $100.

A Subaru engine on the folder would be just right.

Nothing more.:jester:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
  15. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

That thing looks tough enough to do JUMPS with. Cool!

16. cycledude

cycledude Member

I went for a ride near by and forced it over a train overpass, very steep.
    I noticed there was a lot of ground up tire around the unit I must have been giving it too much throttle, so I checked the oil and sure enough it was black.
    I am guessing that it sucked a lot of ground up tire.
    I changed the oil and now the fuel filter.
    Maybe I am not pushing the unit down into the tire enough but it seems to have enough power.

edit:
    I checked the fuel filter and is clean so I am guessing again that the black in the oil must be from the timing belt which is in the oil, any comments?
    btw I did a quick oil change just in case.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  17. kerf

kerf Guest

Setting roller tension

Here is the general rule of thumb for roller tension. As you apply roller pressure, the roller deflects the tire. This deflection will increase friction between the tire and roller but it also robs engine power as it takes power to roll against the deflection. You want to start with a smooth tread tire inflated toward the upper end of the inflation range, max inflation isn't necessary but softer inflation doesn't work as well. Set your roller to about 1/8" tire deflection, hold the bike and go to WOT. If the roller doesn't slip, saddle up and ride on, if it does, increase roller pressure and try again. If you have to try again, be sure to move the roller to a fresh section of tire.