My car, how I loathe thee...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SirJakesus, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I got stranded at work Saturday, got towed home, changed out the alternator again after only 2 months on the "remanufactured" one. Thankfully under lifetime warranty.
    I installed a small amp and 2 more 3-way speakers in my front doors to make a 6 speaker system today. Sounds great until I TURN THE CAR ON. Now I have to wait for some noise filters and tear down the dash before I can enjoy it on my long commute... ack.

Just when you think you're making some progress the auto gods kick you in the croutons.

/end rant.

2. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

what kind of car???

3. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

You may need to install a higher amperage alternator I know on a car a friend has he had to do that when upgrading the stero.

4. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

Must be a Kia. Its a good thing they come with a lifetime warranty :D

5. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Over the years I have found that it pays to buy certain auto parts from the dealer. Alternators, water pumps, and fuel pumps are best purchased from the dealer. (or from an online source that sells dealer parts at wholesale to the public) If the originals went 100K+, why is it that the AutoZone carp only lasts a fraction of what the originals did? If I replace an alternator at 100K, I expect that I won't have to worry about the alternator until 200K. The money you pay in towing, along with the inconvenience, outweighs any savings in the cheap parts - even if they do cover the reman part under warranty. (what about YOUR labor?)

6. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Member

OEM stuff isn't always the best stuff either the alternator on my friends Mustang is not OEM but he put in a good quality aftermaket one purchased from Summit racing so aftermarket stuff usually is better if you get good stuff to begin with and not all Autozone stuff is bad it is remanufactured a lot of the stuff and like the saying goes you get what you pay for with car parts and other stuff.