Carby my carb won't fit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, you can get an automotive spark plug wire with a booth already installed for a few bucks.
to remove the stock plug wire from the cdi, just unscrew the wire by turning it counterclockwise where ot goes intot he cdi.
you will feel the wire unscrew, and if you look down into the cdi where the wire was, you will see a screw.
Just screw the new wire back onto that screw and make sure that the screw goes into the center of new plug wire.
Since you will be using an automotive plug wire with a rubber boot, make sure that teh spark plug itself has the little screw on tip installed.
without that screw on tip, the automotive boot will not click onto the plug wire.
you will notice that with the stock boot, that little screw on tip for the spark plug is no needed, which is simply due to the cheap style of connector that's inside the stock boot (not very good).

Plug & wire

yes, you can get an automotive spark plug wire with a booth already installed for a few bucks.
to remove the stock plug wire from the cdi, just unscrew the wire by turning it counterclockwise where ot goes intot he cdi.
you will feel the wire unscrew, and if you look down into the cdi where the wire was, you will see a screw.
Just screw the new wire back onto that screw and make sure that the screw goes into the center of new plug wire.
Since you will be using an automotive plug wire with a rubber boot, make sure that teh spark plug itself has the little screw on tip installed.
without that screw on tip, the automotive boot will not click onto the plug wire.
you will notice that with the stock boot, that little screw on tip for the spark plug is no needed, which is simply due to the cheap style of connector that's inside the stock boot (not very good).
Thanks Moto, I forget sometimes that not all of us have an automotive background. What is simple for some of us might need further explaination for others. I'll try to do better in the future.
Big Red.

Thanks for making this clear, I do know what your talking about as when I was riding my brothers bike, before my first build, the wire came out of the cdi somehow, and I found that screw you are talking about, seams pretty cheap to me but I guess it works, I'll get to those items soon I hope.,,,Its hard having a family, a job, and a mb

yeah replacing the spark plug wire is pretty straight forward, but if you don't know that it just screws into the cdi, you would assume that it's molded into the cdi and won't come out.

How about a heat resistant rubber hose? My bad I see your having other problems but I'll take a look for ya.
As far as the CDI and plug wire I never had a problem if it worked at all it always worked as good as it does new theres no flex either it works or it does'nt.
What the trick I used to do on my 2 stroke dirt bikes is run a hotter plug. I had a YZ80 and it did the same thing sputting out. As soon as I put the stepped up hotter plug in there it ran excellent. I specifically remember that day.
How you get one is just hand your plug to the guy and ask the guy at the desk to give you a NGK plug one step hotter.
These guys at another site were talking about as I did some searchin for ya.
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/how-pick-right-spark-plug-29883.html

Last edited:
yeah but the stock plug and stock plug wire are junk.
Sure they "work" but they don't work well.
put on a real spark plug wire (automotive) and a good spark plug and you will notice a big difference over the stock plug and wire.
when you run the stock plug and wire for awhile you tend to think "wow, it's running great". Then switch to a better wire and plug and you will think "wow, why didn't i do this sooner?"
the stock stuff "works" but it's basically junk that is made as cheaply as possible.
It's the same as putting broken windshield wipers on a brand new windshield. They work, but they're not very effective.

I raced with NGK and anytime I argued with the techs I learned from, they would look at me crazy.
Even the race tracks only carry NGK incase a racer need a plug because it happens all the time.
As far as these little motors, I never heard of these problems or drama you could call it and see them running fine. If you could show me a huge number of people that have this issue the vendors whould mention this huge problem that I never heard of.
I got to clean my house and Id love to chat about later.
Se Ya Later

That did'nt take long. I was ridding around this huge motorcycle park and my bike was sputtering or bogging out whatever. So I went to the onsite shop for some advice and the guy at the desk handed me a hotter plug that was in my bike before I told him what plug it was. I wanted to argue because I wanted to ride and I was stressed about it he said, I have a shotgun if you keep it up. So I did what he said like anyone else and VRRRROOOOMMM VRRRROOOOM and did I feel bad because I doughted this guy. I went back to thank him and appologized.

ok so I got the ngk b6hs and a new wire and will be trying it soon, I'll let you know if this corrects the problem, I've been doing things one at a time and riding it to see if it helps so I can determine exactly what the problem is, so far it is still sputtering at about 17 mph but then picks up to about 25 where it starts to wind out, I'm using a 32/1 fuel mix,(first tank) hope this is right??? I am getting some smoke, not allot, but enough to fill the garage when reving engine

the plug wire does not unscrew like I thought it would, I tried carefully cutting around the sleeve where it enters the cdi and twisting it counterclockwise but it will not unscrew. now I think it is molded into the body and is not made to be replaced. I can see bare wires so I decided to stop before I ruin it, put some tape on it, and put new plug in, she runs good but not perfect, now I have an extra plug wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back