My dad lied to me about vietnam.I feel stupid

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by plinko, Jul 15, 2010.

1. plinko

plinko Banned

My father served In vietnam and was a marine from 1968 to 1972.He told me as a child sitting on his lap that vietnam did not end until 1977.I always took his word for It and never questioned It.And now thanks to stan4d I find out that vietnam ended In 1973.I hate to admit to being wrong but,Looks like I am according to wilkpedia.comNever thought my dad was wrong on this.Maybe he meant the last troops and supplies did not leave until 1977.But I found no Info on this.So I have to admit I was wrong on my assessment of vietnam and very embarassed.So to stan4d,you are right.I don't like you but,right Is right.I don't know what to think about what my father told me considering he was a vet.I am really embarassed at this stupid mistake of mine and embarassed at my father's Inability to remember when the war ended.And I eat my words and apologise to stan4d since I was wrong and misled by my own father.I will not be back on here anymore cuz of my embarassment and for what It's worth.I hope the m.b.ers and motorcyclist ride safe,live long,and prosper.My final post In here or In m.b.com. Take care.

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Dude, everyone makes mistakes. Learn to forgive yourself and laugh at your mistakes. It's called humility. Life is easier with it.
    Don't cut your neck to spite your head.
    There is no reason for you to leave this forum, unless you can see no alternative.
    May peace be with you, whatever choice you make.

3. plinko

plinko Banned

I just feel really moronic about this.And I hate thinking my pops told me wrong.Remember.I am only 36 and born In 1973.I don't want to leave but now everytime stan4d or turtle tedd see me they are gonna shove this mistake down my throat and anything I post or say will sound stupid or a blatant lie.I wish I could laugh over this gearnut but,My father being a vet and telling me this since I was a 5 year old boy only to find out he was wrong about the war he fought In.Is really embarassing and disgraceful to me:dunce:. For christ's sake I had family generations from the civil war to ww1 ww2 the korean war,vietnam,desert storm.and yet I goofed like this.

4. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Were you taught to run when in the face of adversity?
    Self inflicted wounds hurt the worst, but all wounds heal with time. Sometimes you are not the same afterwords, but you are still alive and kicking, now arn't you?

5. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

HMMMMM Janurary 10, 1976...I wonder what happened on that date.
    Dont beat yourself up...Remember the words of Pres. Ford and Reagan.
    Trust but Verify.

6. plinko

plinko Banned

I'll give It some thought gearnut.I am really bothered about this mistake I made.And Never thought my dad would be wrong on his history lessons he gave me about vietnam.I think 4 now on If i stay on this forum I will just say yes or no.Just embarassed at the moment.

7. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

I never said anything negative to you or will I..You are intitled to your opionin right or wrong..this is just a internet motorbike forum ,no reason to leave ,just put things in perspective..Your dad fought in Vietnam and survived to come home to his family--that should be enough,,be proud of him and your country, and yourself

8. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

I understand.
    You do what you need to do. I just vote for you staying as a member here.
    Take some time off, a vacation may be nice, or keep chugging along.....
    It's ok to have your nose to the grind stone, just don't put it onthe grind stone.

9. plinko

plinko Banned

I'm gonna stick around since stan4d and turtle tedd are forgiving of my error of vietnam.I just always thought I was right and It's just kinda hard to admit being wrong about this.I am gonna discuss this with my mother tomorrow and ask her If my father messed up dates or got confused alot being he did suffer some psychological problems from the war.I'll be alright.Just a little embarassed at myself that's all.

10. plinko

plinko Banned

I am proud of my father and all my family generations and others who served and those who did not but were positive members of society.I love my country but I fear my government since I did not approve of bush's last 2 years or obama either one.I feel like clinton was the best president we had In my generation being he kept work and the economy stable.And I am not too proud of myself honestly.I feel like this country has turned against each other and looked the other way for too long.Maybe tonight this will be a humbling experience for me and I will try to find reason to love this government again.

11. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

12. plinko

plinko Banned

Yeah buddy,I ground my nose clean off.Gonna have to get michael jackson's plastic surgeon to sew me another nose on.

13. plinko

plinko Banned

Good point stan4d.I know he was P O ed about It being he became an alcoholic and atheist.Many vets I met frim vietnam are alcoholics and some adopt atheism.I am gonna check out the site you listed.

14. plinko

plinko Banned

I seen that site you listed Jan 21st 1977 draft dodgers pardoned by Jimmy Carter.I do recall vaguely as a child about his hate towards draft dodgers.Particularly Mohammad Ali.

15. moondog

moondog Member

16. moondog

moondog Member

17. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Our involvemnent ended in 73, but as far as the war itself it is stated that 1975 was the end since the fall of Sigon occured, others contend that it did not officially end till the reunification in 76.
    (Talked to a couple of Nam Vets today and we were disscussing this.)
    So it depends on what you are looking at as to when the war ended. For the purposes of disscussing American Vets it ended in 73. For the purposes of saying the conflict was over, 75. For the purpose of saying it is not over till the country was reunited, 76.
    Are we confused enough already? Just wait....
    For others it will not be over till full accounting and return of all MIA and POWs. For still others, (who lack the defeatest gene) it will not be over till Vietnam is once again a democracy.
    Still not confused?
    The war was a stage for the superpowers during the cold war, which "ended."
    Yet we just captured and traded spies with Russia........I give up trying to follow this.

18. plinko

plinko Banned

This whole mess of war Is confusing period.I wish the pow's would be accounted for.My pops told me he once killed a kid who ran at him and some marines with bombs tied to his body.I think that always bothered him.

19. plinko

plinko Banned

I do recall he did have a strong obsession with mathematics,numbers,and dates also.

20. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

If the old saying "the proof is in the pudding" is true, then the articles in the links you shared are IMO PROOF that the media has been lying all along.
    Not that I didn't think that they were all along anyways.

Sorry for the HiJack and my rant, plinko. This is your thread.