My first bike

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by crabdance, Jun 14, 2008.

1. crabdance

crabdance Member

Well, I never have had the honor of putting a bike in the picture gallery but I guess I can now. The build is almost complete. Still need a few things (like a fuel line) to get things going but for the most part the bike is complete. So I would like to finally take the chance to show off my moon dog. I know it looks like all the others, but I'm still proud of her!

Thanks for taking the time to look!

cd

Attached Files:

2. Norm

Norm Member

An excelent build! Love the orange. Can't wait to hear how she rides. I put a speedometer on. Makes the experience a little mor meaningful.

good luck,

norm

3. crabdance

crabdance Member

Hi Norm... thank you.. I kinda like the orange and black too... instant Halloween. I have a speedometer that I ordered that should be coming in the mail soon. It's the one mentioned in the NOOB thread. It cost $4 and something and the shipping was free. Can't beat that. Anyway it should be here any day now and then I will put it on the bike. It has speed, odometer and tripometer... not bad for $4.00.

Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I'm really proud of it now that I have it together!

cd

4. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

crabdance's

iam realy happy u are goin for a ride soon most likely u got her running on the roads today weee heeee all right man
    dont forget a fuel filter
    and i have enjoyed yer post and its good to know there are still good people in the world today rockin good news

5. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks MasterLink, Still haven't gone for a ride yet because I'm waiting on some other parts.. but soon my friend I will be rolling with the best of them. I will shout when I get to ride and everyone will know!!!

6. crabdance

crabdance Member

Just took some more pics of my bike and thought I would post them. The second one is on my desktop now :).

Attached Files:

7. TracyT

TracyT Member

That looks great Crabdance!

I was leaning towards the Moon Dog for my next project. I just finished mounting my Staton friction drive to my mountain bike over the weekend, but I'd like to move it over to more of a cruiser style bike.

Tracy

8. crabdance

crabdance Member

Hi Tracy, Thanks, the Moon Dog look is sorta addicting. At first you think it's too much orange and then later you get to love it. The Moon Dog build went pretty smooth. Had very little problems installing it. If you decide to go with the Moon Dog I don't think you will be sorry. The only issues I have with it is the seat is a bit hard (I bought a gel seat for about 20 bucks) and the fenders are a little flimsy (I have to keep tightening them up). Other than that That's the only problem I have with the MD. If I had it to do over again I would still buy it. It's a good bike.

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

10. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks for the compliment Dave. And thanks for the links about the front fender. Makes me shaky inside just thinking about how much my front fender has been rattling over the past couple of days and I didn't do anything about it. I won't ride it again unless it's tightened down or removed. If the thing keeps vibrating loose, I will just take it off and be done with it. Shame though because I like the looks of the fenders.

11. TracyT

TracyT Member

Dang. I like the look of the fenders, too.

Is it possible to buy better fenders to attach to the bike?

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yes.

or maybe fabricate a stronger way to mount them.

the flimsy brackets that hold fender to fork will break or tear. Or the fender itself will tear away from the bracket.

13. GasKicker

GasKicker Member

I too have a Moondog. I ride it almost every day. After reading this thread I went outside to check my fender and it's still tight and secure. I remember during my build the nut and bolt holding the fender fell off and got lost. i replaced them with a machine screw and Nylock nut. I don't know if that's the reason, but i have had no problem whatsoever with my fenders.

14. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks GasKicker... I will check out better nuts and bolts to hold the fender in place. Will do that today! Glad that you are not having problems with your fenders.

15. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

did u get it goin yet ?dance ?

16. crabdance

crabdance Member

Yes MasterLink I got it going! The muffler came in today's mail and I have been riding all over the place. It's a lot quieter with the muffler on it :). I'm a little rich on the oil but I don't think it's enough to hurt anything. On my next tank I will be much more careful to get it exactly right. Yahoo! I'm riding now!

17. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Nice bike crab I like the orange! vroooom vroooom!

18. crabdance

crabdance Member

Thanks darwin... the orange kinda grows on you.

19. Marktur

Marktur Member

I'm really happy for you my friend!

Yes - check the fenders every day.
    I haven't had an issue with mine, but I check them. You need to touch the nuts and bolts and make sure they're not loose at least weekly. BLUE LOCTITE is your best friend. Use it on every nut that is NOT a locknut - it will eat the plastic over time.

So I'll be waiting for an "adventure" post soon...don't forget to take pictures, too! :)

20. crabdance

crabdance Member

Hey Mark... Right now a venture of 4 or 5 blocks from the house is all I have to talk about. Still getting used to it and coming to trust it. When I make a big journey on it will be sure and let you know. Will try and take pictures too!

I will check the fenders also and check everything else too. I know that things vibrate loose and that I need to keep on top of things to make sure that they hold up. Have to save up for the loctite. I will use it on just about everything.

I will have you an adventure post soon, I promise. Right now it's time to go and eat so I will talk to you later... bye for now my friend...

cd