My first build, questions about bicycles and engines.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vyzhion, Sep 23, 2007.

1. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

I am contemplating building a bike with a wizard chopper frame, a Skyhawk stage 2 mounting/gear kit, and a Hua Sheng F142 49cc 4 stroke engine. I saw a post in here where someone installed a 2 stroke 70cc kit on this bike. I really like the disc/drum brakes and heavy duty feel of this bike. Only Problem is I am not sure if the 4 stroker will fit or not. Anyone know if that would be plausible or have specs on this bike that would have measurements for the inside area of the frame? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mounting/gear kit

This bike with 70cc 2 stroke engine

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

3. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Ok thanks for the heads up. I have also heard from another source that they are awkward and hard to ride anyway. Looks like I need to find another choice.
  4. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Recommentations for single speed cruiser?

I am looking for a single speed cruiser style bike with front/rear alloy V-brakes. I intend to put a Skyhawk stage 2 mounting/gear kit and a Hua Sheng F142 49cc 4 stroke engine on this bike. ANy recommendations are greatly appreciated. THanks! :)
  5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

no need for a new topic for every question, i'm gonna merge them into one where you can develop your first build in journal fashion.

simply "reply" to your project thread with new questions, or updates as you learn and make your choices...don't worry about someone seeing it and helping out, this system seems to work great here.
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:vy, single speed cruisers don't come with front/rear alloy v-brakes, just a rear coaster brake and sometimes w/front brake.

however, a SCHWINN SKYLINER from WALMART has a cruiser-like frame, suspension fork, dual v-brakes and 26 speeds. i believe they're a great candidate for fact, i was gonna buy the $164 bike...

until i stumbled across an old SCHWINN cruiser steel frame yesterday that i bought for $5.00. it looked like carp, but i removed the rusty fender, sanded the frame, polished the handlebar, installed my new RALEIGH front and rear tires. the v-brake i previously added onto my RALEIGH bolted onto this old frame, along with a 12" seat.

right now, i'm in the process of installing my twin engines. all levers and cables are in place, as well as rear wheel with 12g spokes and 36-tooth sprocket.

i'd recommend the SCHWINN skyliner. it's cheap, and has the v-brakes you want. if you don't like the multi-speeds, you can always swapt to single speed, and you'll have the wider rear dropout and chainstays, which should make the project easier.

moreover, several people have used the KULANA MOONDOG with good results. it has cruiser frame, dual v-brakes, 26 speeds and fenders, and sells at WALMART for about $100.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  7. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Thanks 5-7 Heaven. I decided to go with the Schwinn Skyliner from good old Wal Mart ($161 shipped). It has good brakes, front suspension, a solid frame and handlebars that keep my hands directly over the front wheel for greater control at higher speeds. I hope to have my Skyhawk 2/HuaSheng Engine kit from a local vendor by the time my bike arrives to my local Wal Mart. I will likely be bugging this forum for more advice when I actually have all of my requisite parts together. Wish me luck!
  8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

luck? it ain't luck! you're gonna be the one building this baby, so take credit :)

so far, it sounds nice. another HappyX4, i'm digging that for sure...keep us posted :cool:
  9. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Anyone have a schwinn skyliner that can tell me the diameter of the steerer post? I am trying to replace the stock fork with a disc brake fork and I'd like to have all the parts by the time my bike arrives next week. ANy help is appreciated. THanks!
  10. mickey

mickey Guest

I measured mine as 28mm in diameter and 7 inches long for the steering head. I'm not a bicycle guy so check the images for the manner of measurement. If I should measure differently let me know and I will repost.

Attached Files:

11. mickey

mickey Guest

By the way, I think this is a nifty seatpost mounting for the standard teardrop gas tank. A $14 schwinn post mount rear rack with the plastic removed (2 screws) reveals a one inch square tube. I slipped a cut inner tube over it and the tank clamped right on. I like the way it looks on the skyliner and it allows me to easily remove the seat tube, seat and tank as a unit with the quick release. Then I can invert the bike for maintenance without the problem of gas leakage from these nosealing caps.

I have the tank slightly twisted toward the petcock to drain it to the dregs but it does mount straight.

And thanks to whoever was extolling the gel seats the other day. I bought this Cloud9 gel filled sofa the other day and my behind is happy even on long rides.

Attached Files:

12. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Thanks Mickey. That makes it a 1 1/8" steer post. That's what I needed to know. I am looking at a few on ebay and I wanted to make sure I got one that would fit. Thanks tons. :)
  13. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Ok folks... I have made a decision. After a lot of shopping around and being warned of the evils of a certain local vendor, (who's name I cannot mention or risk moderator fury) I have decided to try out the 4 stroke kit from I spoke with Bill (the owner) and he was very nice and gave me a good deal on the kit. I know this is sort of a cheaper clone of the GruBee kit (it is actually a starfire kit which has a different gearbox that lacks the neutral gear engage system), bit the price was right and I am going to give it a whirl. Bill installed his first kit on the bike that I am using (schwinn skyliner) and he said it fit in the frame well and worked out great. I know the gear box will be a bit loud but I may end up replacing it with a the GruBee box (if anyone knows where I can get one for a good price please speak up). Like I said before, the price was right ($225 shipped). I will let yas know how everything works out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  14. mickey

mickey Guest

He gave yo 20% off the advertised price. Sweet!
  15. xtremecc

xtremecc Guest

SCHWINN SKYLINERSkyhawk Stage 2 - Hua Sheng F142 49cc 4 Stroke Engine

I just recently purchased the new 4 stroke engine kit from for about $320 and put it on a SCHWINN SKYLINER that I bought from Walmart for $160. For a little under $500 I have myself a very VERY fun toy.. :grin:

The kit fits perfectly on the frame of the SKYLINER and also the JAGUAR (basically the same shape and size). I'm sure there are other bikes out there which will work as well however I just wanted to point out two bikes which I know for a fact work well with the skyhawk stage 2 kit.

I have about 4 hours ride time on my new toy so far
    everything is running great.

I have recently added a wireless speedometer that I got from walmart for $20.. It gives several readings including speedometer, odometer, maximum speed, average speed, and about 10 other things. I've been able to get up to 36.7mph on flat road.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  16. mickey

mickey Guest

Very nice, xtremecc. Did you have to use the bent crank arms to get around the width of the engine?

17. xtremecc

xtremecc Guest

3pc crank

Actually yes, I still have the original crank arms on the bike which do hit to motor and muffler but when I first bought my engine kit... I didn't know I would not be able to use the 1pc crank set that came with the kit so now I have ordered the wide 3pc set and I can't wait to get it!
  18. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

It finally arrived... My kit is here. Just as I suspected, it is the 4 stroke starfire setup with the figure 8 gearbox. It came with a chrome-colored throttle grips and a full gallon gas tank also. One thing about it tho is that it also came with a 50 tooth sprocket, not a 44 tooth as the description on the website reads. But I did get $50 off of the sale price so I guess I can't complain too much. I have a 48 tooth sprocket from a 2stroke kit that I have had on a shelf for the last year that will do until I can afford to replace it. This weekend will be busy for me so I don't know if I will be able to get it built but I will try. I'll post my results once I get it all together.
  19. vyzhion

vyzhion Guest

Ok I finally got this beast together with some minor problems. I was so excited to put gas in it and try it out. I tried and couldn't get it started. I pulled and pulled and got nothing. I made sure that the fuel valve and the choke were open. Still nothing. ANy ideas? Plz help. Thanks...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  20. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Vy, keep pulling.

did you squeeze the bulb under the carburetor? are you sure the choke is open and the kill switch is not on?

if it still doesn't start, i'd disconnect the kill switch wire and try again.

did you pull the sparkplug and make sure there IS a gap?

Don't forget to put oil in the crankcase.

you are so close.