My first build

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by caduceus, Jun 27, 2010.

1. caduceus

caduceus New Member

I posted four pics in the Picture Gallery, but could be a little more descriptive here.

The first picture is the completed bike after the first five-mile ride. The second picture, of course, needs no introduction. However, Houghmade's picture on the Kneeslider site inspired me to try my first build.

I was able to solve a few minor problems by using the search function of these forums, and had a great time building this. So thanks to everyone here for the free information, and especially to Houghmade for the inspiration.

I have an old Ran's LWB recumbent in the barn that I haven't ridden in years that's probably going to be my next project. More on that later.

Attached Files:

2. NoelTheMole

NoelTheMole New Member

I think your first bike is simply amazing! Good job.
  3. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

I love the schwin. what year and name is it.
  4. caduceus

caduceus New Member

I got from a vendor on eBay in 2005. It came in a box and I assembled it. It's a Chinese Schwinn model: Deluxe 7. That means it came with a 7-speed Shimano Nexus Hub on the rear wheel. I purchased the heavy duty rear wheel from Bicycle so now it's only a one speed. I might use the Nexus on something else down the road.
  5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

That's looking sweeeeet!
    You must be a tall person. I have not seen a gooseneck that will come up that high in a long time, and your seat post tube is quite up there as well.
  6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Nice looking ride. Good work.
  7. caduceus

caduceus New Member

Nah, I'm pretty short really, 5'10" in work boots. I like to be able to almost straighten my leg when I pedal with the ball of my foot. However, now that I've got an engine, I might drop the seat a bit for less wind resistance.