My first Mb is going to be a recumbent

Discussion in 'Motorized Recumbents' started by Elmo, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Elmo

Elmo Member

I intend to make a MB out of my old homebuilt recumbent. It is a toureasy type with a bentech seat modified to fit. I have a 30CC Homelite weedBeater engine. I want to make a mounting plate for the engine from 3/8" aluminum plate and weld it to a crank arm on a bottom bracket. Will have another crank arm on the other side with an engagement lever on it. I havent figured out how I am going to mount a friction roller to the motor. Any suggestions?
    Elmo

Attached Files:

2. Elmo

Elmo Member

Got the motor mount made

I have finished the motor mount. Cut it out of 3/8" aluminum plate with a jigsaw. Had it welded up at a local shop.
    Elmo

Attached Files:

3. Elmo

Elmo Member

Mounted the motor

I have the weedeater motor mounted on the bike. Next step is making the friction roller.

Attached Files:

4. suspect

suspect Member

that looks really impressive, i like it a lot.

5. Elmo

Elmo Member

Thanks

I appreciate the good words. I have some new pics and updates to post soon. Right now I am trying to get together a nother motor. I broke the first one. Elmo

6. Elmo

Elmo Member

Thanks

I have 4 more and maybe I can get a good one out of the four.
    Elmo

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

What broke on your motor?

8. Elmo

Elmo Member

flywheel

My roller came loose and it was holding the flywheel on. The keyway stripped out and ate the aluminum flywheel.
    Elmo

9. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

bummer.... have you figured out a way to support the outer most part of the drive roller?
    These little engines only have one crankshaft bearing, so any stress from the roller tension, that is passed on to the crankshaft is bad.

I am not putting down your design, by any means..... I would like to find a solution, myself.

I have seen these engines with the key that was actually cast in the flywheel.

10. Elmo

Elmo Member

Bearings

I too thought that there was only one bearing on the crank. I have a friend who is a machinest who was looking at my setup and we were thinking of ways to add a bearing on the other end of the shaft. He was looking at the engine and there is a bearing inside the crankcase on the crankshaft and another on the outside behind the flywheel! Who would have thought it? They are not very far apart but there are two of them. We did come up with a way though but havent worked out all the kinks yet. Thank you for the suggestions. If the setup works out I will post pics and a description.
    Elmo

11. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

that's still a lot of stress on an engine....when you apply a bunch of downward pressure on the roller, several inches away.

I'm still looking for a way to support the outer most part of the roller.

Let's keep our heads together on this....I am both a recumbent & frictiondrive fan.

12. Elmo

Elmo Member

friction roller

I made my roller from a 1/2" black iron pipe cap and nipple (available at hardware store). Pic 1 trueing cap on lathe. drilled and tapped a 5/16" 24 thread hole in cap. Then screwed it on crankshaft.
    Elmo

Attached Files:

13. Elmo

Elmo Member

Made a Mistake

The threads in the cap were not strong enough and it came off under power. The cap was the only thing holding the flywheel on and when the threads stripped, the crank key ate the aluminum flywheel up. Lesson, use a nylock nut to back up the pipe cap.
    Elmo

Attached Files:

14. Elmo

Elmo Member

Got another motor

Found 4 junk homelite weedeaters and was able to make a good motor out of all the parts. Now can get back to finishing the bike.
    Elmo

15. Elmo

Elmo Member

new friction roller

A friend Mike, who is a machinest, made a new roller and a bearing mount for the end of the shaft.

Attached Files:

16. Elmo

Elmo Member

on the bike

Put the engine on the bike and fitted the bearing support. It tried to unscrew while bumpstarting the bike. We took it off and added two setscrews and loctited the roller to the crank. will see if that works tomorrow after the loctite sets.
    Elmo

Attached Files:

17. Elmo

Elmo Member

Finally got it all together

Finally got everything done except cleanup and paint. Built a mechanism to pull the motor off the wheel and a throttle linkage from a brake lever and cable.
    Elmo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  18. Elmo

Elmo Member

rideing

I have about 50 miles on the bike now. Had to replace the carb and fiddle with the mixture and change to a colder plug. The tank is kinda small, only get about 20 miles before adding fuel.
    Elmo

Attached Files:

• R1.JPG
      R1.JPG
      File size:
      117.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Elmo

Elmo Member

I have 350 miles on it now, would have more but the weather is not cooperating. It is holding together well and is a pleasure to ride, longest ride so far is 40 miles. I hace added a second tank for more range without adding fuel. The top speed on level ground is 24 mph. It will pull most hills without help, needs a little help on real steep hills.
    Elmo

20. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Looking good !!!

I'm glad I finally got back to this thread. The outside bearing on the drive roller is awesome. (and the disengaging lever, too)