My first Mb is going to be a recumbent

Elmo

Local time
6:37 AM
I intend to make a MB out of my old homebuilt recumbent. It is a toureasy type with a bentech seat modified to fit. I have a 30CC Homelite weedBeater engine. I want to make a mounting plate for the engine from 3/8" aluminum plate and weld it to a crank arm on a bottom bracket. Will have another crank arm on the other side with an engagement lever on it. I havent figured out how I am going to mount a friction roller to the motor. Any suggestions?
Elmo

Attachments

• DSCI0293.jpg
    DSCI0293.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 629
  • DSCI0294.jpg
    DSCI0294.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 519
  • DSCI0295.jpg
    DSCI0295.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 540
  • DSCI0296.jpg
    DSCI0296.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 522
Got the motor mount made

I have finished the motor mount. Cut it out of 3/8" aluminum plate with a jigsaw. Had it welded up at a local shop.
Elmo

Attachments

• DSCI0299.JPG
    DSCI0299.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCI0300.JPG
    DSCI0300.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCI0301.JPG
    DSCI0301.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 521
Mounted the motor

I have the weedeater motor mounted on the bike. Next step is making the friction roller.

Attachments

• DSCI0302.JPG
    DSCI0302.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 567
  • DSCI0303.JPG
    DSCI0303.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCI0304.JPG
    DSCI0304.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 487
Thanks

I appreciate the good words. I have some new pics and updates to post soon. Right now I am trying to get together a nother motor. I broke the first one. Elmo

Thanks

I have 4 more and maybe I can get a good one out of the four.
Elmo

Last edited:
flywheel

My roller came loose and it was holding the flywheel on. The keyway stripped out and ate the aluminum flywheel.
Elmo

bummer.... have you figured out a way to support the outer most part of the drive roller?
These little engines only have one crankshaft bearing, so any stress from the roller tension, that is passed on to the crankshaft is bad.

I am not putting down your design, by any means..... I would like to find a solution, myself.

I have seen these engines with the key that was actually cast in the flywheel.

Bearings

I too thought that there was only one bearing on the crank. I have a friend who is a machinest who was looking at my setup and we were thinking of ways to add a bearing on the other end of the shaft. He was looking at the engine and there is a bearing inside the crankcase on the crankshaft and another on the outside behind the flywheel! Who would have thought it? They are not very far apart but there are two of them. We did come up with a way though but havent worked out all the kinks yet. Thank you for the suggestions. If the setup works out I will post pics and a description.
Elmo

Back