My first Mb is going to be a recumbent

that's still a lot of stress on an engine....when you apply a bunch of downward pressure on the roller, several inches away.

I'm still looking for a way to support the outer most part of the roller.

Let's keep our heads together on this....I am both a recumbent & frictiondrive fan.

friction roller

I made my roller from a 1/2" black iron pipe cap and nipple (available at hardware store). Pic 1 trueing cap on lathe. drilled and tapped a 5/16" 24 thread hole in cap. Then screwed it on crankshaft.
Elmo

Attachments

• trueing the cap on lathe.JPG
    trueing the cap on lathe.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 486
  • Drive Roller 1.JPG
    Drive Roller 1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 446
  • Drive Roller 2.JPG
    Drive Roller 2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 499
Made a Mistake

The threads in the cap were not strong enough and it came off under power. The cap was the only thing holding the flywheel on and when the threads stripped, the crank key ate the aluminum flywheel up. Lesson, use a nylock nut to back up the pipe cap.
Elmo

Attachments

• crankshaft.JPG
    crankshaft.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 432
  • flywheel.JPG
    flywheel.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 436
Got another motor

Found 4 junk homelite weedeaters and was able to make a good motor out of all the parts. Now can get back to finishing the bike.
Elmo

new friction roller

A friend Mike, who is a machinest, made a new roller and a bearing mount for the end of the shaft.

Attachments

• shop 1.JPG
    shop 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 423
  • shop 2.JPG
    shop 2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 408
  • shop 3.JPG
    shop 3.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 403
on the bike

Put the engine on the bike and fitted the bearing support. It tried to unscrew while bumpstarting the bike. We took it off and added two setscrews and loctited the roller to the crank. will see if that works tomorrow after the loctite sets.
Elmo

Attachments

• shop 5.JPG
    shop 5.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 452
  • shop 4.JPG
    shop 4.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 422
  • shop 6.JPG
    shop 6.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 413
Finally got it all together

Finally got everything done except cleanup and paint. Built a mechanism to pull the motor off the wheel and a throttle linkage from a brake lever and cable.
Elmo

Attachments

• mec1.JPG
    mec1.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 462
  • mec2.JPG
    mec2.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 407
  • mec3.JPG
    mec3.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
rideing

I have about 50 miles on the bike now. Had to replace the carb and fiddle with the mixture and change to a colder plug. The tank is kinda small, only get about 20 miles before adding fuel.
Elmo

Attachments

• R1.JPG
    R1.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 423
I have 350 miles on it now, would have more but the weather is not cooperating. It is holding together well and is a pleasure to ride, longest ride so far is 40 miles. I hace added a second tank for more range without adding fuel. The top speed on level ground is 24 mph. It will pull most hills without help, needs a little help on real steep hills.
Elmo

Looking good !!!

I'm glad I finally got back to this thread. The outside bearing on the drive roller is awesome. (and the disengaging lever, too)

Back