My first motored bike.

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by KiDD, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KiDD

KiDD Member

I was thinking of getting a Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser and slapping a DAX 65 into it.
    Anyone else have this setup? Any foreseeable problems? I notice it doesn't have any hand brakes, so I assume it uses a coaster brake? How would I upgrade that to a better brake type? I would really prefer getting a 4stroke GXH50 mounted, but I am having trouble locating a mounting kit. If you know where to get one please let me know.

PS. Due to all the negative things I have read about the Crapbroke bike (poor coaster brake?) I am going to look for a different cruiser at my local thrift stores and stuff, if you have a suggestion for a relatively cheap cruiser please let it be know. I want to be able to supplement my motor power with some pedal power so a multi speed bike would be ideal, right?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008

2. A lot of people have used those Cruisers. They're not bad at all, and if you're looking at going cheap, you could do worse. Certainly invest in a front brake, though. Coaster brakes alone won't cut it.

3. KiDD

KiDD Member

Does the rear sprocket attach to the spokes?

4. Sure does. Since it's a coaster brake you may have to file down the inside of the rear sprocket in order for it to fit over the brake cover.

5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I'm not trying to burst your bubble with the Huffy and i don't know your budget,but since your talking about a GXH50 i'm assuming u want to keep the same excellent theme going.
    Be advised the Huffy is cheap...it has the cheapest of everything on it and your likely to run into problems with breakages...it can't take the power.
    Mounting kits are everywhere but i've never seen a COMPLETE kit with a genuine Honda engine.If u specifically want the Honda engine(which i did) get it from Staton and a Grubee kit elsewhere....good luck. :)
    http://www.staton-inc.com/Results1.asp?Category=13
    http://www.bicycle-engines.com/4stroke-engine-kits-c-2.html?osCsid=045e4e5d1558fcf5ab1bd8615008e9a3

6. KiDD

KiDD Member

Since I'm selling my car I and plan on using my motoredbike as my primary mode of transportation, money really isn't an issue. I NEED something reliable, so I am willing to pay for it.

7. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Go for something pretty good then....choose what kinda bike suits u and your riding style,remember the more u pay the better the quality(unless u see something excellent second hand)
    I'm assuming your doing a frame mount...have u decided absolutely on an engine?

8. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

moped

If money isn't an issue , just get a good moped, they are more dependable, reliable and at the most, they are legal..

9. KiDD

KiDD Member

I use to have a moped... riding it just is not as cool or as fun as a motored bike that you built yourself right?

What do you guys think of this bike?
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/589367192.html
    Vintage 1960's SkyRay DeLuxe Cruiser - $160

$160 seems like a little much, but the bike is beautiful! Has to be better than a crapbroke cruiser, ya?

10. azbill

azbill Active Member

looks to be in fine shape !!! :D

11. KiDD

KiDD Member

I was wondering what that gas tank looking thing is in the frame?

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

usually, they had a horn or something similar
    mostly for looks

13. KiDD

KiDD Member

mAYBE i CAN make it into a gas tank?

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

it's possible (looks kinda small, wouldn't hold much fuel)
    you would have to make a filler of some sort
    then you would have to have an outlet (petcock)
    probably need to seal it with a tank sealer (like KREEM) as well
    it WOULD preserve the lines tho (and be really cool :D)

15. loquin

loquin Active Member

BTW. Dave Staton seems to think that the Robins-Suburu is a better engine than the Honda (apparently primarily since the Honda is now being made in Thailand.) He mentions that the Robins is "more compact" than the Honda, but, the listed measurements really don't support this. (it IS about 2cc smaller displacement, but, the Robins is slightly heaver, and almost exactly the same external measurements as the Honda.)

I do know that the Honda can be operated in any position without damage; it uses an oil misting system to ensure lubrication. I don't know if this is true of the Robins.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  16. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

The Honda 35 is like the Subaru 35 and can be operated in any position.It surprises me that the Honda is made in Thailand,eventhough i know they have a MAMMOTH factory overthere.
    Myself and a few friends have just bought 2 GXH50's and 1 Subaru EHO35 from Staton.I know it's not necessarily the same but the Hondas were made in Japan....guess times have changed for the 35's.

17. KiDD

KiDD Member

I read the same thing about the engine and was wondering the real differances between the two engines. I like Subaru cars so I was thinking going for that engine. Subaru engines seems just as reliable if not more so as a Honda engine.

18. KiDD

KiDD Member

Update

So I picked up this bike off craigslist for $40, it's a Huffy Broadmoor. I've never heard of it but it's a 6 speed with shocks on the front and brakes front and back.
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/levihall420/STP80017.jpg
    Do you think it will take a 4 stroke? Also would the Subaru fit the BE mounting kit? http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-mounting-only-p-158.html

I'm thinking of just getting a HT and slapping it on, but I really want to get a 4 stroke, but now I'm afraid it won't fit this bike.

What do you think?

19. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

I'm no 4-stroke expert but i think your fears are justified...i don't think it will fit.You would probably have to make-up some specalized mounting plate and even then i still doubt it.Take the bike to wherever they sell Subarus and get a better idea or if u can while your there take an engine out to the bike and try it in the frame.You really need something like a Schwinn or a MTB with 21" frame.

20. KiDD

KiDD Member