My First Project

very nice!

i'm gonna add something that may help avoid quadruple checking...somewhere (i can't find it) someone had a huge problem with vibration that eventually cracked the frame: it turned out his custom engine-mounting tubes were too long and unsupported, and they would get all "harmonic" on him...consider doing some serious gusset-work on your mount-extensions 8)

Thanks for the heads up

my mountine look just about the same has his! Except my is dangling out there even more! thanks for the link!

I've got the room to gusset the **** out of it and hopefully that will do the trick.

I'm gonna try firing it up and give it a test run in a couple of days. the stock exhaust pipe curve & length wont work so I have to lower the pipe and exend the exhaust tube. I got some copper pipe to give it a try with. if the layout works i can replace it with a steel pipe. I thought i read someplace that copper tubing wont last long as an exhaust pipe.

I believe the prob with copper is if you solder it, it gets hot enough to undo the joint :eek:
I am pretty sure people have brazed successfully :D
good luck !!!

I'm hooked!

So I finished hobbling up the copper tube to extend the exhaust pipe. no problem brazing the copper to the chrome plated steel. The copper didn't bend as nicely as i wanted to it looks kinda crappy but its only a temp..

I then read through every technical thread related to first time firing up and problems.

then I added the beer can wrap to the carb. much better fit.

bought a inline fuel filter, strapped the tank on.

Wired the sucker up, had to use a new plug wire cuz of the distance. Took and old wire from a mustang project and cut & fit it. black to black, blue to green, tape off the white. pulled the plug, could see the spark - kinda dim but it was there.

bought the gas, got the craftsman synthetic oil, measured a 20:1 ratio, broke the **** gas cap - the little tab fell into the cap (****!) stuck the cap on and hoped for the best.

retighted all the bolts on the bike, check the chains, checked the brakes... then checked everything again.

took it out started pedeling and it fired up by the 3rd house! Idled fine and wasnt bogging. rode it back, to the house, locked in the clutch and check to see what was gonna fall off and try to hurt me. so far so good!

Took it up the street & back then around the block. almost hit two moving cars cuz i wasn't looking. took it home, monkeyed with the idle screw and the throttle adjustment & stalled it. the barrel in the carb is all the way rested at the bottom and the idle adjust is about 2 - 2 1/2 turns. put the adj back and fired it up again!

These things are a kick in the butt to ride! IM HOOKED!:eek::eek:

your news started my day off in totally the right direction!!!

it's always great when i hear that MBc is doing something right...

nice post and a good lesson for all first-starters 8)

one thing...it's recommended to avoid synthetic during break-in. someone who knows more can tell you why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - looks like you are really putting your time into this build - looks really great.

I love the CAD (cardboard aided design)... :D

Back