My first very cheap build.

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by jmccrury, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

This is my first MB build. I was trying to go as cheap as possible because I really just want something to ride to work on, which is only three miles away. The kit is from powerkingshop on Ebay, and I have to say that after reading stuff on here about the kits from ebay, I was a little worried. However, after receiving the kit, everything seemed to look pretty good. The instructions were junk, but I have been on this site for a few weeks now so I didn't really need them. I think the install went ok for my first build and the motor started up on the first try without any problems (other than I didn't have the chain tension right).

I bought the mountain bike at Good Will for $6. It's a ten speed, but because the chain and derailleurs were rusted so bad I just converted it to a single speed by replacing the chain and removing everything else. I know it's not the correct way to do it, but it works and I don't really plan on pedaling this one very much. I also threw on a ghetto paint job. I took the seat off another mountain bike I have because the one that came on it was just hard plastic. The first upgrade I plan is a new seat though because this one is still not comfortable and the bike doesn't have any suspension like I'm used to.

I drove it to work today for the first time and man did it get a lot of attention. I really didn't expect that much attention. The plant manager, plant superintendent, and maintenance supervisor all came out to look at it. Later someone took pictures of it and e-mailed it to our second plant across town.

Attached Files:

2. Nice the goodwill store can yeild a lot of good cheap stuff for projects.
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

They do get attention when someone notices the motor. It's surprising how many don't. Great job, just goes to show what can be done with a little work and a coat of paint.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  4. motman812

motman812 Member

Bravo! And, you're already a good will Ambassador for MBs!
  5. ihatemybike

ihatemybike Member

Good first build, however you're brakes strike fear into my heart. Please, for safety's sake, upgrade them.
  6. jmccrury

jmccrury Member

:lol:Yes, I have already realized that the current breaks are not adequate. They provide very little stopping power. Right now I just slow down in plenty of time before I need to stop and hope that I don't have to make any sudden stops.:grin: