My frame is too small, pedals don't clear engine

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Parah_Salin, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Parah_Salin

Parah_Salin Member

So the pedals on my bike don't clear the engine, I don't want to take an angle grinder to it.

basically I want someone to show me how to replace a crank on a bicycle, and if it is possible to make it so that the pedals are farther apart. I'm thinking the easiest way to do this, assuming there is a part like this available, would be just to replace the crank (the bit that the pedals attach to) with a longer one so that there is more clearance.

The other thing is if anyone knows of some stock pedal-arm things that flair outward that would also be good, kind of like this (time for an asci diagram)

..............| <----Frame
    ..............|..._
    ..............|../...<-----Pedals, with the arms outwardso that the pedals are
    ............--0--..........farther apart and give clearance in the frame for a
    .........../................small engine
    .........--

2. biken stins

biken stins Member

Can you heat them and bend them out. Take pedal off, heat at bend, with a long pipe move it to where needed.
    Or a wider crank set up may be in order.
    Good Luck.

3. Parah_Salin

Parah_Salin Member

I have a toarch, but it's small and crappy and my oxygen tank is empty. Also I'd have to make 2 bends to get it right. How much would a wider crank cost?

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

5. Parah_Salin

Parah_Salin Member

Not a one piece, but can I install it anyways?

6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest