My Frankenjacket arrived...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KilroyCD, Feb 5, 2009.

1. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I decided that I should have a leather jacket to help protect me in case I should wipe out while riding one of my MBs. However, being on a very tight budget, I decided to look at the "Harbor Freight" of clothing, Haband.
    I duly ordered this leather jacket, in black: http://www.haband.com/index.cfm/fus...oductID/704d5985-f151-4c5f-8d5f-aee1fa586b4b/
    Well, the jacket arrived today, and yes it is leather. Will it help protect me in case of a fall? At slow speeds, maybe.
    I'm calling it a "Frankenjacket" because it would be generous to call it a multi-panel jacket. It appears as though the hides were made of leather scrap pieces that are sewn together, so it has a patchwork look to it. It's not particularly thick leather, so I doubt it will offer too much protection in the event of a fall. But hey, the price was right.

2. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I have one of those jackets too. I thought it was made from the skins of about 250-300 field mice.

Jim

3. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Well It may be some protection in the event of a controlled landing, but it WILL be a good outer wind break... Cool man!:helmet:

4. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

That it definitely will be, and as I said, the price was right. Actually, looking it over it really isn't bad at all considering the extraordinarily low price. Now, if I had paid $100 or more I might be howling with indignation...:grin5:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. POPS

POPS Member

Kil
    Think how thick a pair of jeans are,how thick your jacket is than how thick your skin is. Your way better off covered in leather if your going down than anything else even if it is made from a couple hundred field mice....POPS:cool:

6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I smell a Rat.....

......nope.......

it's just Kilroy.

:smilielol5:

7. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

POPS, I feel the same way. I figured that it wouldn't be very heavy leather because of the price, but it's actually heavier than I thought it would be. My only concern is how or if the multiple panels (if you want to call them that) will stay together if I unexpectedly depart from my normal riding position and unceremoniously deposit myself on the roadway.
    All I can say is that I'm actually pleased with the Frankenjacket, as it's more than I expected at the price. :helmet:

8. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Oddly enough Dave, this jacket does smell really, really good. It has the aroma of rich, high-priced leather. I wish I could bottle the smell...

9. POPS

POPS Member

Too cool Davo
    Kil...I can tell you from personal experience that when you go down at a high rate of speed that when you hit the pavement the leather smokes and disappars but your skin is basically all there. The initial impact is the worst then you sort of bounce and roll for the rest of the trip. Hole in leather= done it's job...Even with Franko....POPS ...PS...Smell ya later:whistling:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009