My GT5 Nishiki

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by trydrew, Nov 6, 2012.

  1. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Hey everyone! Just wanted to make a little thread about my bike and some modifications now and in the future.

    First, the bike is a (pressumed mid-'90s) Nishiki Blazer, 18 speed. There is more than enough room between the rail, and the lower and rear frame rails are roughly the same diameter. Mounting the motor required minimal grinding of the mounts.

    The motor is a GT5 66cc with CNS carb from gasbike.net.

    Installation was pretty seamless. My greatest problem was with the bike's crank spacing, which required some working of the exhaust pipe's fitment. A torch, vice and hammer fixed that up alright. Before putting it all together, I ported the intake and exhaust pipe flanges as much as possible.

    Lastly, since I put it together, I have added a comfier saddle, the Jaguar CDI and coil, an NGK iridium spark plug, upgraded some hardware, adjusted the clutch arm engagement angle, installed a teflon lined clutch cable, NVH damping, zip-tied rear spokes, and various other little things that may or may not benefit anything.

    In the near future, I plan to do more fine tuning (potentially via boost bottles/reed valves, intake tuning & Jag expansion chamber), lights, and other misc. things.

    As of now though, I generally only ride it on the weekends, which is unfortunate. Because of this, I am still in the process of breaking it in, and haven't yet made any long rides. This is really more of a toy than a commuter, but that said I would like to be able to commute with it if I'm given the opportunity.


    Older pics, more to come soon!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

  2. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    First off, something I just finished fabricating (save for the welding).

    [​IMG]

    I'm sure most know it's Jaguar torque pipe. Just did this in about two hours with some 22 ga steel, and an assortment of tools. I can't wait to get it welded, find a good pipe solution, and get it fitted on the bike!

    Also, in doing this, I only used about 1 sq ft of steel. I had a 1x2 ft piece to work with and went a bit over half, but i'm convinced that with proper planning, it could be done with less.

    More to come soon!
     
  3. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Decided to go ahead and fab up the stinger belly channel.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  4. flotsamm

    flotsamm New Member

    Nice work! Clean cuts for sure.. what did you use to cut out the pieces? Cant wait to hear the results.
     
  5. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Thanks! I hope the welding goes well on these parts. I think I'm going to outsource that job to my uncle, rather than take chance of ruining these pieces myself. :-/

    I used some good metal snips, as partially seen in the top of the picture of post #2.
     
  6. flotsamm

    flotsamm New Member

    Thanks. Cant wait to see how you mount it and the performance results!
     
  7. BchCruizer

    BchCruizer Banned

    Sweet setup!
     
  8. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Experimenting with a homemade boost bottle plus intake extension. Also, finished some engine covers with a nice wrinkle coat and added the chain guard. I'm hoping to have the torque pipe welded up rather soon.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    To those few who have made a new pipe, from where did you source the header tubing?
     
  9. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Some updates:

    Torque pipe is still a work in progress... Maybe eventually.

    In the meantime, I've done some cosmetic work to the bike.

    I'll let the pictures do the talking...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  10. MrBlack98

    MrBlack98 New Member

    Whats the black box in mid frame? Is it just for aesthetics?
     
  11. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Yes. Although, currently it's housing my Jag CDI box and coil.

    I like the clean look of it, but part of the reason I added it was to house electronics and the sorts. This will be very handy when I add a front light bar and other assorted things.
     
  12. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    Well, a few new things to speak of here.

    I decided to ditch the CNS carb, as I was having nothing but trouble with it. When it ran it ran only ok, and otherwise it was just giving me overflow fits (despite proper float height). I went with Dellorto replica. Doing this, I decided to also install an RSE reed valve. AND I choose to purchase a new jug and piston set. This allowed me to break in the motor more properly than before, as well as have a spare cylinder set if need should arise.

    So far, I'm not quite half way through break-in on this setup, but i can say that what i've felt thus far is worlds improved as far as low end torque is concerned. I can't wait to finish break-in... and the torque pipe... :D

    Also, added a rack, lighting, saddle bag, and a few misc other things. :) Sorry for the lower quality pics...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  13. trydrew

    trydrew New Member

    It was a beautiful day today, got some good miles in. Finally done with break-in, and got the ignition tuned well. This thing runs great! I'm thinking about a Shiftkit, but I i'm just going to enjoy it as is for a while. Also, the torque pipe is finished, I just need to finalize mounting design.

    Some pics:


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
Loading...