My HD Hub center threaded axle shaft sticks way out on one side, too short other side

Sketch

Local time
3:07 AM
My problem is that there isn't enough thread length sticking out on the pedal/chain side of the rear wheel. Please see photos.

It seems like it's sticking out really far on the drive chain side, and only a little bit on the pedal chain side. Is there a way I can scoot that sucker over WITHOUT tearing apart the whole hub. I'm nervous to do that again there are so many parts in there and I do not have all the right tools.

Please see photos posted on google photo album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/108870015733312822035/HDHubPhotos?feat=directlink

Yes I did take off the drum brake, it's all tore up I'm not planning on using it with my new build. I've got a nice new mountain bike to work with and I'm getting some custom welding done to get the engine mount welded in place. I'm going to use the caliper brakes, that drum brake was a piece of chinese garbage I think. But I like the freewheel HD sprocket so the investment was worth it so I'm not bolting on to spokes anymore....:cool:

Any help/suggestions?
Thanks
Sketch

Hi Bill
I am not known here are as a force in the MB world here but here you go. If you do not have any clearance problems with your chains on either side and it fits your frame with out stretching out to far. HD axle kit when it is together should be 5 inches wide max you may get it a tiny bit more than that but if your not using the brake you should be way less than 5 inches. The biggest thing is the chain clearances on each side and you can use the sprocket dished in or out what ever suites the wheel better. Now install the wheel with out the fender then check to see if your wheel is centered if not you can take it to a bike shop and have them center it better. I did look at your pictures it is hard to see if there are any issues from them or from what I can see they look OK. It is all about clearances.
I hope this helps you
Terry
www.blowbyu.ca/

Well....all I'm asking is, I need more length on the side where the pedal sprokets are. When I go to put the wheel on, the axle (threaded rod) doesn't stick out far enough to put a good nut on.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yKGqDMNNX5p1Kr2enBd3VA?feat=directlink
After it's sitting in the frame it's only got 1/2 an inch of threads to work with. I can fix that stripped threads, I'm not worried about that, but how do I get more length on this side???

Well for starters you cant use a cassette on the HD hub.
Second, If you need to adjust the side to side thread length all you do is back off the long sides nut away from the bearing and suck the short side over.

Back