My "homebent" project

Discussion in 'Motorized Recumbents' started by srdavo, Dec 6, 2008.

1. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

We fought hard, to get this section, here. Timing was perfect, for me.... I'd just motored up my bikeE & am still very jazzed about it!!

this week, I've started sawing up some bikes... & welding them back together.

I am going for the same geometry as my bikeE...only bigger & longer.

20" front wheel....24" rear.
    seat height..........29-31"

here's some mock-up pics......

chime in anytime....please!

100_2488.JPG parts

1bentA.JPG converted to "coloring book" (Kodak software) & cleaned up, some with "Paint" program.

at this point...I am thinking Rack-mount, but may have room in the "triangle' for a frame mount..... I just want to pedal it first.

Talk to me, guys..... Let's keep this Recumbent section alive!!

2. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It seems to me that if your pedals are forward, there should be plenty of room for a motor in the triangle.
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yes...but just to keep it simple...(no chain issues, with the rear suspension)
    & to keep the noise behind me,.... I'm prolly gonna go with a rack mount.

I have a 43cc "fake" mitsu with a gearbox. might make a good rack mount chaindrive or even belt?.
    I have a couple chainsaws begging to be friction drive donors.

I guess I need to make it roll first.
  4. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Chainsaws are just too loud to be aesthetically pleasing to me. When I ride, I like to be able to hear the waterfalls, eagles, etc.
  5. graucho

graucho Active Member

Hey Dave lookin great. Just wondering where the pedals are going to be positioned.
    Its your personal opinion what set up your going with. Are you going to need a
    jackshaft set up or will it both ways allow to work direct to the sprocket? I started
    a stretch forward pedal project and put it away (shed at cabin) for the winter but I
    have to go frame mount due to the rear tire. (photo below) Im curious to see what
    you do. Maybe I can get some different :idea: ideas from your or others builds as
    your thread continues. Good thread thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  6. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

haha... this prolly won't be pleasing to the "eye" either. haha
    But I will be much quieter than a Harley!!

the attached sketch, shows the rough placement of the pedal cranks....definitely crank forward....exact location depends on where my seat ends up...

bent 2.JPG

that's some Fat tire!!
  7. terrence

terrence Member

I dont have a recumbent. But id like to say your latest photos made it clear to visulalize
    the final frame set up. I find it most enjoyable when people have the ability to canablize
    or build from scratch. Thanks, it been fun watching it grow.
  8. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

thanks for the comments....

I was in the garage late last night, fitting & tack-welding most everything together. Some things I had to cut apart & redo... at times I could sure use another pair of hands....& eyeballs!! :goofy:
    I almost like what I've got.
    (at midnite, last nite it was 50 degrees & I was in jeans & a T-shirt.... right now, in the garage it's 30)

I just took some pics of yesterday's progress.....
    100_2502xx.jpg 100_2506xx.jpg

I'm going back out...take the wheels & fork off....throw the frame on the table & finish welding it together. I'm thinking about a couple gussets....I'm not too concerned with weight, I just want this sturdy.
    then it's seat/backrest, bottombracket & steering.
  9. jnp2whls

jnp2whls New Member

Check out for some EZ1 clone detailed plans that can be downloaded for free. Also atomic zombie has downloadable plans for about $15 for trikes, delta and tadpole, and other recumbents. His plans are VERY detailed and easy to use. I find the plans very easy to use and recommend the plans highly.
  10. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

jnp2whls, thanks for the links. I am familiar with AZ.

I am making some progress, here....
  11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

You gonna stay with that seat? I'm trying to visualize how you could put a seat on there that you could really push against, but I'm drawing a blank.
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

no... I still have to build the back rest & route the chain(s).

I want to lower the seat a bit, maybe even move it back, some...I made a 90 degree, bent seat post.
    I also want to add a gusset, in front of the seat tube....see pic

heck... I'm even gonna spill some paint on it, when I am done!! :jester:
  13. azbill

azbill Active Member

gonna be a cool lookin 'bent when you finish her :)
  14. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

here's a couple pics of my backrest....

tomorrow CHAIN & brakes!
    then I ride!!!
    .....or the next day. :whistling:

Attached Files:

15. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

a bit too high for my comfort, but bada** none the less!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  16. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I put chain on...lots of chain.... rear derailleur/shifter & hooked up the front brake.

test ride!!! :clap: Handles nice...It needs a little leg room ....just a little. weighs a ton! that does not matter.... it's engine time!!
  17. graucho

graucho Active Member

You know how when the auto industry comes out with a new body style you think Its the goofiest thing you ever saw. then a year later it kid of starts to get a hold of ya, and catches your eye. Then all of a sudden your kind of diggin it.

Well, thats what I thought of Recumbent bikes. The more I see and study recumbent's the more i'm starting to digg the look/comfort of them.

Dave I like seeing the 2 bike creation turning into a solid riding/looking MB. The next chance im able or offered to ride one i'm surley going to give it a shot. Great job!
  18. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Comfort is the key here. Once you ride one.... you'll be hooked!

2 bikes.... I destroyed 4 bikes to do this!!! :whistling:

thanks for the kind words.
    but ya gotta admit.... this is the ugliest bike rolling!

I did what I set out to do.... build a bent, for ZERO $$. I don't count the wire or the time spent. this has been fun.

next? engine time.......
    rackmount friction-drive

I am open to suggestions........
  19. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  20. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

a few more rides today.....

(still working on the backrest)

Attached Files: