My "homebent" project

srdavo

Local time
11:26 AM
We fought hard, to get this section, here. Timing was perfect, for me.... I'd just motored up my bikeE & am still very jazzed about it!!

this week, I've started sawing up some bikes... & welding them back together.

I am going for the same geometry as my bikeE...only bigger & longer.

20" front wheel....24" rear.
seat height..........29-31"

here's some mock-up pics......

chime in anytime....please!

100_2488.JPG parts

1bentA.JPG converted to "coloring book" (Kodak software) & cleaned up, some with "Paint" program.

at this point...I am thinking Rack-mount, but may have room in the "triangle' for a frame mount..... I just want to pedal it first.

Talk to me, guys..... Let's keep this Recumbent section alive!!

thanks....

It seems to me that if your pedals are forward, there should be plenty of room for a motor in the triangle.

It seems to me that if your pedals are forward, there should be plenty of room for a motor in the triangle.

yes...but just to keep it simple...(no chain issues, with the rear suspension)
& to keep the noise behind me,.... I'm prolly gonna go with a rack mount.

I have a 43cc "fake" mitsu with a gearbox. might make a good rack mount chaindrive or even belt?.
or...
I have a couple chainsaws begging to be friction drive donors.

I guess I need to make it roll first.

Chainsaws are just too loud to be aesthetically pleasing to me. When I ride, I like to be able to hear the waterfalls, eagles, etc.

Hey Dave lookin great. Just wondering where the pedals are going to be positioned.
Its your personal opinion what set up your going with. Are you going to need a
jackshaft set up or will it both ways allow to work direct to the sprocket? I started
a stretch forward pedal project and put it away (shed at cabin) for the winter but I
have to go frame mount due to the rear tire. (photo below) Im curious to see what
you do. Maybe I can get some different :unsure: ideas from your or others builds as
your thread continues. Good thread thanks.

Attachments

• grauchoframe.jpg
    grauchoframe.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
aesthetically pleasing
haha... this prolly won't be pleasing to the "eye" either. haha
But I promise...it will be much quieter than a Harley!!

Hey Dave lookin great. Just wondering where the pedals are going to be positioned.
the attached sketch, shows the rough placement of the pedal cranks....definitely crank forward....exact location depends on where my seat ends up...

bent 2.JPG

100_2501.JPG

..... but I have to go frame mount due to the rear tire.
that's some Fat tire!!

I dont have a recumbent. But id like to say your latest photos made it clear to visulalize
the final frame set up. I find it most enjoyable when people have the ability to canablize
or build from scratch. Thanks, it been fun watching it grow.

thanks for the comments....

I was in the garage late last night, fitting & tack-welding most everything together. Some things I had to cut apart & redo... at times I could sure use another pair of hands....& eyeballs!! :geek:
I almost like what I've got.
(at midnite, last nite it was 50 degrees & I was in jeans & a T-shirt.... right now, in the garage it's 30)

I just took some pics of yesterday's progress.....
xx.jpg
100_2502xx.jpg 100_2506xx.jpg

haha... this prolly won't be pleasing to the "eye" either. haha
HAHAHA

I'm going back out...take the wheels & fork off....throw the frame on the table & finish welding it together. I'm thinking about a couple gussets....I'm not too concerned with weight, I just want this sturdy.
then it's seat/backrest, bottombracket & steering.

Check out www.recycledrecumbent.com for some EZ1 clone detailed plans that can be downloaded for free. Also atomic zombie has downloadable plans for about $15 for trikes, delta and tadpole, and other recumbents. His plans are VERY detailed and easy to use. I find the plans very easy to use and recommend the plans highly.
Neal

Back