My Iron Horse.

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Foximus, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Foximus

Foximus Member

Just got the motor in yesterday. Before I tear it down and start blue printing and building it, I decided to install it and get a good base line.

The frame is a walmart $85 Ocean Pacific beach cruiser. Forks are something I built out of some pit bike tripple tree parts and steel tubing I welded up, bent up a fender and slapped that on.

Decided to go with a soft mount setup, so I cut out some tabs and welded them up. Deffinately have to go to a harder durometer rubber next time as these are too soft, the motor torques sideways a bit when starting.

Still have to hide the wires and other cables but you get the general Idea. Its getting torn down either tomorrow or the next day to start blue printing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dudeimarobot

dudeimarobot Member

Nice! I really dig the engine mount set up. Top notch!

I spy a specialized full suspension bike in the background...

3. Foximus

Foximus Member

Actually you dont....

[​IMG]

I also have a Motobecanne ds700, not quite as nice but also fun.

So Ive ridden about 1 mile now, and the motor is starting to lock up upon start up. Thinking I siezed a piston already, I tore down the cylinder to find no marks or smears on the cylinder or piston. Both are prefectly clean and smooth. The resistance actually seems to be in the crank. I can turn the motor over with a wrench from the crank, and it starts up, but as soon as it heated up the motor actually seized while running on me. Sooooo hrmm... other than a full tear down I dunno...?

Attached Files:

4. dudeimarobot

dudeimarobot Member

Dang.. Got me! It was gold pedals. They are specialized pedals. Ive got a set on my skate park bike.

5. beast775

beast775 Guest

lockup

its probably your chain getting hung up on the crank sprocket.

6. -CON-

-CON- New Member

Nice mounts, super, very clever ! Less vibration on the frame

7. Foximus

Foximus Member

The wheel turns freely when the clutch is in. Drop the clutch and youll get nothing. Its been sitting for a few hours, I'm gonna go see if it will run now. Im thinking it may be a heat siezure or something with the crank. The chrome exhaust blued in the first 10 minutes of riding....

8. Foximus

Foximus Member

So I'm not really sure what the deal is... but it seems this motor likes to hot sieze. it yanked the chain off twice just now. I figured the exhaust might be clogged, so I opened it up and cut out the catalyic converter... I though that helped at first but it still siezed up after a few minutes of riding...

However I must say cutting the cat out added a large power boost. I mean big power boost. For those not willing to build or buy your own exhaust I recommend doing that.

I also tightened the pressure plate on the clutch... now instead of the clutch slipping it just skids the tire out. This is frustrating.

9. Foximus

Foximus Member

Well, ive rode the bike 7 miles now and its not acting up at all anymore. Whatever happened happened, and now its clear. Im starting to think I may have had a bit of water in the tank and hydrolocked the motor a bit, or something... other than that I really have no idea.

I pulled the motor, painted the frame, cleaned up the wiring and slapped it all back together. Gonna take it for a ride to campus tomorrow, and enjoy it.

I picked out and ordered my stamped blanks today, so by next week I will be building my custom tuned exhaust, and then I will blueprint and port the motor. Im expecting about 10hp when is all said and done.

Also should be milling the intake tract for a reed valve in the next few days too..

10. luke

luke Guest

as everyone says love your mount brilliant idea.great bike too.

11. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

normally, when a chrome pipe turns blue, it is a sign of the motor running too lean. what notch is your jet needle set to?
    what fuel/oil ratio are you running? (i know, the fuel / oil ratio has nothing to do with the engine running too lean...that would be the air/fuel ratio)
    If the tank had water in it the water would have burned off while the motor was running. the only way a cylinder can get hydrolocked is if there is a liquid (could be gas, water, oil) in the cylinder and no spark. The cylinder would have to be very full of the fluid to cause it to hydrolock. 2 stokes don't have intake & exhaust valves like 4 strokes do, so any water or fluid that was in the cylinder, would have been sent out the exhaust port when the piston came to top dead center. a 4 stroke will have both valves closed during the compression stroke, and if the cylinder is full of a fluid, with no spark, there would not be an escape route for the fluid because both valves would be closed. The result is usually a bent rod.

12. Foximus

Foximus Member

LoL.

Thanks for the lesson slick. Dunno what i would have done without it. :dunce:

13. Foximus

Foximus Member

On a side note, yesterday I discovered that my front down 1.5" downtube has crack straight through it. All the way, 100%. Guess this motor hits pretty close to the resonant frequency of this aluminum.

About 15 miles on a brand new frame. LoL.

14. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

no problem sparky.
    I like helping people who have no clue.

15. Foximus

Foximus Member

Double side note. now the exhaust canister cracked off. The vibration this motor puts out must be crazy, though i dont really notice it while riding. Motormounts work great! LoL.

Exhaust blanks arrive today luckily.