My Jag

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by azbill, Jun 5, 2008.

1. azbill

azbill Active Member

this is my Jaguar,
    I hope you like it :)
    I have done many upgrades to it
    front wheel is a sturmey-archer X-FD drum brake hub, alexrims double-wall rim
    back wheel is a formula disc hub laced to rhyno-lite double-wall rim, zip-tied spokes (my LBS called it 'bombproof' :D)
    handlebars, trimmed 2" (each side)
    severe set-back seatpost (I am 6'1", it fits me perfect now)
    triple sprung seat
    black springers
    old school 'newsboy' rack
    kenda flames front & rear (26x2.125)
    custom 12v lighting front n rear

driveline - 70cc Livefast engine,custom bent exhaust (shoots it straight down,,,better for trailer passengers)...painted high heat semi-gloss back ,,, almost 1000 miles on it, installed after spooky ralley in march
    rear sprocket is a 40 tooth with center cut out so I could mount it inside a rotor (see pics)
    it will pull 80 lbs of granddaughters at 25mph all day long
    I hit 38 (37.8) during the death race but generally cruise 22-25

a couple more pics are here
    http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/azkronic/Jaguar/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

2. hellbilly

hellbilly Guest

Pretty cool azbill!! I always wondered if the exhaust would get to the kids on a trailer so never tried it. Great Jag.

3. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Bill, that is a totally gnarly (great) looking machine.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Awesome bike, Bill!!!

your sprocket mounting is pure genius! that solved the chain alignment issue nicely!! Looks rock solid!!

It's so cool, the girls liking to ride.

5. graucho

graucho Active Member

Bill, clean-clean build. You can be proud of that baby. Did you buy your seat post or have it made?

6. azbill

azbill Active Member

thanks all :D:D My baby is running like a top, and I haven't done nuthin but fuel her up for over 500 miles (YAY!!!)

Graucho, I bought the post, seat, forks, and sturmey hub from Spookytooth...over the space of a year
    the post was less than 10$

Dave, I am so glad the girls love it, they are the reason I got into motors in the first place, I pull them so much, it feels almost funny when I go solo !:lol:
    the sprocket is working really well...at first, I used washers as spacers, but have since changed to 2 nuts between the rotor and sprocket...seems to less flex now (the bolts have no side play at all)

hellbilly, I have been pulling them for 1.5 yrs, and am still constantly asking them if they smell anything, they always say 'no',,,
    their dad (azvinnie),has a long chopper pipe on his stingray and they DO smell it when he pulls them

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  7. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

azbill,

do the kids mind the noise from the engine, any time i start up my 32cc gebe my 4 year old runs for the hills.

How those the trailer stand up to speed,it looks very like the one i bought from wally world and the wheels on mine are held in by just lock pins.

8. azbill

azbill Active Member

vegas, I have been pulling that trailer for 3+ yrs
    well over 3000 miles on it (nylon getting raggedy, it is soon to be converted to a cargo trailer)
    they both fall asleep regularly in it, so I guess it's not TOO loud :D
    have never had any probs with the trailer, other than 2 flats

9. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

love it just great bill ..i like your upgrades iam goin to nicks a few of your ideals if that ok like the back brakes can u inform how you got that disk on and the brakes cas i realy cant use the stock back brakes on my jag cas it tooo heavy i bet you can....
    better brakes = safer riding

10. Marktur

Marktur Member

Sa-weeet!

Bill, couple of questions:
    Why did you tie-wrap the spokes where they cross?
    Neat tires! Are they Kevlar? Where did they come from?
    How did you prep the motor for painting?

Give us a list of your upgrades and modifications, please!

I bought the seat post from Spooky a few days ago - looking forward to sitting further back...is it comfortable?

Thanks,
    Mark

11. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Great job bill. Everytime I think I get my bike looking as cool as yours, you go and make your's cooler.:p

Jags make an awesome ride.

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

master, the disc is only to mount the sprocket...I still use the v-brakes (between the v-brakes and the front drum...she stops quite nicely)
    mark, the zip-ties are to stiffen the wheel (they work well, no flexing into the turns)
    tires are kenda flames (www.kendausa.com) (I have over 3000 miles on the front one)
    I used a paintbrush and thinner to degrease/clean the engine before painting (I put 60 miles on it first to make sure it ran ok)

thanks for all the nice replies folks !!!:D:D:D

13. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

not to be smart or anything can u test it just use the back brake tell me what you think ..mine takes a long time to come to a stop ....

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

the front does approx 70% of your braking anyway
    I use a dual brake lever (the front is adjusted to brake sooner/harder than the rear)

15. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

10-4 bill iam just seting up mine now i got it yesterday the dual thingy ..what hole looks to you pulls first i was looking at it fast.. i forgot what one i used ..i will be working on getting better braking for the rear or i might just sell it ...put a ht 80cc in there i have my eye on a great new bike its realy eating at me

16. Marktur

Marktur Member

Where did you guys get the dual brake?

Right now I have my left handle bar loaded up in the following order:
    Grip, Brake, 2" separation, clutch. I can pull the clutch with 2 fingers, and use the other 2 on the brakes without crunching my clutch fingers (thus the 2" gap) which is fine in a NON-EMERGENCY environment. My front brakes are so good, I have to remind myself to use both!

Masterlink, you should be able to squeeze the rear brake hard, and SKID. If you can't, then they're not tight enough. Not that you want to skid, but you do want to be sure that you can squeeze as tight as possible to stop as short as possible. Just my opinion, I'm certainly not the expert here. :)

17. MasterLink

MasterLink Member

mark i been trying to skid i cant ,,i think my bike is to heavy (its hard to stop a fright train ) heheh no but u right i should get the wheels trued that would help

ohh the brake thingy is great i got mine from a shop by my house about $12 ebay has them

18. azbill

azbill Active Member

roland at spookytooth is where mine came from
    most of my add-ons (other than the back wheel) came from him

19. jared3377

jared3377 Member

Nice Jag!!! It's actually the same exact one as mine, I think...

I really like the black motor--it looks stealth! I'm assuming you painted it yourself with some high-temp paint? I'd almost like to do that to mine to hide dirt/oil/etc.

Beautiful work! :smile:

20. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

just a side note for those with brake issues,

release your brake cable at the brakes, slip a credit card, or similar width item between the brake pads and wheel rim,pull and tighten up the cable and your brakes will be set to instant stopping power...

a quick and easy fix that works well.