My Kestrel, the first time ever run...

wow, you need to turn the idle down quite a bit.
It doesn't have an idle, It doesn't even have a throttle! The only adjustment that the carb has is a jet and if I turn that even an 1/8 of a turn it kills the engine...

then how in the heck can you ride it and control the speed?
you need to find a carb that has an idle adjustment and a throttle.

The carb is so small it's almost a mixer and I adjust the speed by tightening or loosening the belt. I have it set up with a pedal, so the more I press the pedal down, the faster I go... :D

Attachments

• DSC01106.jpg
    DSC01106.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 182
I'll bet this was a stationary engine designed to run at a constant speed to pump water, generate electricity, etc. It looks to be a very nice build. I built a scooter, mostly wood, when I was young, a thousand years ago, with a Maytag constant speed engine designed to run a clothes washer which used a similar speed control. My family also had a reel type self-propelled mower that used a pully tensioner/clutch and v-belt drive. The system works fine, but it will go through v-belts at a fairly high rate. Nice job, young man.

Yeah, this is a Briggs and Stratton washing machine engine. I bought it at an auction for $4 and me and the local mechanic got it to run again.

I'm afraid your bike wouldn't be street legal here in Pennsylvania. An assisted bicycle here must remain capable of being pedal driven and the operator must have a valid driver's license(age 16). I'm pretty sure the driver's license requirement is to prevent folks who have lost their driving privileges(primarily from DUIs) from simply shifting to a motored bike. I do like the wooden running boards, they add a nice touch and a little class.

Yeah, it's not legal here in NE either, and the license thing applies here. I just ride it through parades and sometime from my house to our shop. The next one I'm building will be legal to ride (at least when I get a license).

Back