My Kulana Moon Dog.

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by lildeezul, Jun 27, 2008.

1. lildeezul

lildeezul Member

This is my first build. it took about 9-10 hrs to get everything tuned and the way i like it.
    The hardest part was the chain and sprocket alignment. The chain would ride on the tensioner and would cuase the tensioner to move into my spokes..
    So i had to drill another bolts through the frame to make a bracket.
    The throttle from Powerking sucked. But i got it to work.
    Good kit
    I love my moon dog, Im breaking it in right now.
    I ordered a 49cc from PowerkingShop on .

here are some pics:

edit*** will upload soon

2. lildeezul

lildeezul Member

here they are.

Attached Files:

3. jezusjonz

jezusjonz Guest

Welcome to the ranks of Moondog owners. Nice looking ride. Little advice on them is add you a springer front end and it smooths it out real nice OH and watch those fender braces.
    Later Terry
  4. lildeezul

lildeezul Member

oh yeah man, those fenders are flimsy..

I got to bend my back fender a little bit, becuase the chain was kinda grazing it..

i love riding this bike.
    how long before i can take this thing off to the roads.. A gas tank?
  5. motoschwinn

motoschwinn Guest

Yeah I had the same problem with my Schwinn Suburban, the tensioner would just turn into the spokes. Finally I just drilled a small hole thru it and made a set screw to stop that. NICE looking bike.
  6. lildeezul

lildeezul Member

Can you inform me about adjusing the clutch, whenever i pull the lever down, it works perfectly, but when i lock my lever in place i can feel the drag of the motor still trying to pull
  7. motoschwinn

motoschwinn Guest

I could never get that type of clutch lever to work well for me. I stopped using that pin. Drag on the clutch and would cause it to slip.
  8. lildeezul

lildeezul Member

also, wow ive been riding for a good 15-20 miles over two days, and i havent put any grease on the right side gears..

Should i use moly grease, and dab some on each gear, ( very thick )

or i do have amsoil sever gear 75w-90 ( more like oil not as think)

which should i dab on there
  9. BSA

BSA Guest

Use the moly grease; oil will lubricate your clutch pads, the opposite of what you want.

10. stringer

stringer Banned

That is one fantastic looking bike. I have been browsing all the great photos here and this is my favorite. Runner up would be an army-style bike I came across.
  11. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yup, that's a great looking bike. I kinda wanted the Moon Dog or the Schwinn Point Beach.
    But I had to buy a bike for my wife's build. Went with the Kulana "Makamaka" single speed beach cruiser. 24" wheels. Made for a fine looking bike.

But at that point, the cash outlay was getting a bit heavy. So I just used an old ten-speed I had lying around for my bike. But one day this engine is going to be on a Moon Dog or a Point Beach. Then my grin will be even bigger.
  12. lildeezul

lildeezul Member

Well i took the fenders off because they rattled like crazzzzzzyyy... And i also fixed my chain problem, i dont run a tensioner anymore..
    I also added a Battery charged (C) headlight...

i'lll post pics tommorow.

I think it still looks good w/o the fenders

buts its still boggin and slugish in low-mid rpms.. Should i mess with the needle jet, pilot jet ???