My motor mount is broken off in the motor and reverse tap i used broke too.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by ElMicNip, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ElMicNip

ElMicNip Member

Hi, (deep breath) my rear chain side engine mount is broken inside motor about 1/8 inch deep. The reverse tap i used snapped off almost flush with the stud (strengthening it, i think) I already broke 2 titanium bits and 1 cobalt bit. Is this fruitless. I'm thinking about jerry rigging something like multiple mount system w/ some metal epoxy or something and just buy a new motor when i get a few extra buck. I dont know but im just about to ride it till its dead and start anew. Any advice would be welcome. Also, i did search forums and i found something about tungsten easy out breaking but he had some bolt exposed. I dont. Thank you.

2. ElMicNip

ElMicNip Member

Im on my way to sears to buy some new drill bits. One more try. Grrrrr (smash, break, crash).
  3. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

that happened to me one time when I was putting a 4g63 mitsubishi motor together. Over torqued one of the bolts on the tensioner pully. Had to drill it out and re tap the hole... added about a day in driving, going to the store, and labor. Sorry man I feel for ya...
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

from what I have seen
    drilling into a hardened tap is almost imposible
    would take this one to my local machine shop

why play around when the expert one can get down ???

note -- they usually enjoy seeing these THINGS so much
    usually repaired at a very fair price..

5. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Yep, don't bother with a broken ez out, take it to a pro.
  6. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Relatively easy solution (have been there and done this many times on older turbo engines with snapped bits and easy outs):

1) You'll need a moto tool and 2-3 diamond bits (see your local HF)

2) Chuck up a ball shaped bit and carefully grind the hard metal and most of the stud out. Diamond will cut through any steel, just go easy and keep the diamond dust in the hole, switch to the next bit when progress stops, etc

3) Clean the hole out, drill and tap hole

4) better than new!
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

relatively east if one has a shop

Pablo what would you charge if someone brought you one in for repair ?

maybe he can mail it to you ?

to me it sounds like something to be done in a machine shop setting

8. Pablo

If someone stopped by, I would do it for free. No need for a "machine shop" for my method. Just a good bench and good lighting.

Mail thing seems like be hassle though.
  9. Skyliner70cc

Thanks for the tip, I've got a "junk" engine with a broken ez out in in and I'm too cheap to take it to a machine shop. I'll give this tip a try and let all know how it worked.
  10. ElMicNip

ElMicNip Member

Thanks for the advice people. When I get frustrated I get impatient (most people probably do). I already spent the night in the basement cussing and kicking things. I broke another bit. I'll try diamond next and if that don't work I'm gonna glue it (I know its not a good idea) I don't care anymore. It's only a 60cc anyway and in September I'm gonna order a 66cc motor. I just spent $200 on new upgrade parts and I'm just going to save them for my next motor. I'm thinking a stretched cruiser w/ a powdercoat(??color??). I'll be happier building a bike from scratch anyways, I will know ALL parts of quality. I'm tired of putting money into other peoples poor workmanship. Thanks again Y'all.
  11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I don't know how deep the easy out is into the hole??? Pictures would help if you had capability. It's obvious whatever you do, you'll have to retap it anyway. If the head of the EO isn't too deep, drill a hole slightly smaller than 1/4" to see if you can grab the head of the EO w/ something. If you can reach the EO stop there!!!

Heat the area w/propane torch, being very careful not to get it too hot. It's pot aluminum (not steel!) so it will heat very quick and propane is enough to melt it!!! When you get it hot enough (water should come close to instantainious evaporation), quench the SOB as violently fast as you can. The rapid expanse/contract of the metal might be enough to break the EO from the threaded barand allow you to twist it free (clock wise!!). If you get the EO out repeat heating but quench with wd-40 inside the the hole! Then try another EO.

Good luck man, If you decide or have to drill with the diamond add a drop of water (don't flush the hole)! Bits will last longer! Don't melt the casting w/torch!!! Definately don't use glue! If the motor shifts and pitches the chain, the bike will pitch you!
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  12. c1rca121

c1rca121 New Member

The same thing happened to me, do you think it would be safe to still ride? It is the rear left post.
  13. Skyliner70cc

No, very dangerous.
  14. machiasmort

You can ride it all you like if you don't mind the idea of the motor shifting and pitching the chain. The bike will stop suddenly and buck you out of the saddle faster than a jealous X wife.

15. c1rca121

c1rca121 New Member

haha OK, i have rode it, it doesn't seem to do anything.. the engine doesn't bend side-ways or anything
  16. Skyliner70cc

Quoting our president, you acted stupidly.
  17. Pablo

Umm…..emm…..ah….safety……ah… our…..ah…….safety is our main….umm…concern.
  18. machiasmort

Don't keep ridding it like that! Take it off the bike and post some pics of the broken bolt from different angles. We'll see if we could help you out.
  19. V 35

V 35 Member

Consider MIG welding a nut to broken mess. When it cools, gently heat casting with propane torch, while dripping water on nut to keep it cool. May back right out !
    I've fixed a few exhaust manifolds this way. Limited 2 stroke knowledge, small engine mechanic. Nix to glue, vibration would kill it. If all else fails, order a duplicate engine, and keep yours for spare parts. { As Burt would say " A Sacrifice to the God of Speed " }
    Hope this helps