My new trike project will be a screamer!

Went to Walmart got solid tubes for the rear tires. Installed them, guaranteed no flats. Still can hit 29mph. It does drag a bit till past 24mph then it pulls fine after that. The distance varies with speed, but I suspect I am getting about two miles less distance. Tradeoff is that the rear tires can never go flat, no tubes. The tubes are made by "Bell" and are like riding at around 45 pounds pressure in 65 pounds pressure tires. Still, not bad for what it is.

Also you must have the rear wheels respoked on the Schwinn Meridian especially the right rear driver wheel. Quality stainless spoked should fix it. Will update this as I continue. Have ridden 1230 miles to date on the Papamotors kit on the trike and no issues.

Well that right rear wheel just disintegrated at 20mph today, almost got killed. The spokes went flying, so much for stainless steel spokes. The problem all over the net on the Schwinn Meridian is that rear right wheel or the driver wheel. So for now, back to the drawing board. If I can fix what the manufacturer ignored then it will be worth it.

look at how the rear wheels and axles are set up on the worksman trikes.. keep in mind these Schwinns are not intended to do 20mph

A local bike shop had installed and re-spoked with stronger spokes. The inherent problem lies in the hub design. First it is too small to drill for thicker spokes. Remember also that this hub is the driver wheel too. I am wondering if there is an after market trike back axel and hub option I can bolt in place. Otherwise maybe replace the axle with one that accepts a regular rear wheel. No pedaling anymore but it wouldn't break so fast. BTW, the left rear wheel is fine, no issues. If you check out this trike on amazon all one stars because of this one problem. It is now all over the web about it and appears a safety issue besides a manufacturers defect. Schwinn to date has never fixed this. A damned shame cause the rest of the trike actually is pretty nice.

IMGP0007.jpgIMGP0006.jpgIMGP0012.jpgIMGP0010.jpg

so make your own

Well, I know that the axle is a 1/2 inch axle. Like I stated, the left non driver wheel has been fine, handled weight and speeds of 34mph no issues. The right wheel though, what Schwinn did was make it a half round axle with a cheaper wheel. I already spent at a redundant shop about 100 bucks to get that right wheel re-spoked, but I am wondering though. I did look at the worksman trikes. What I would need is a 26 model and the front forks must be at least 100mm to take the front electric wheel. It is expensive though, we are talking 900 bucks on average. Existing electric trikes are out there at 1100 and up and those would already be built heavier too, so it leaves a lot of questions opened.

Since I want something for cargo, I might entertain transferring the electric kit to a two wheeled model and then get hitches for my bikes and buy a standard cargo carrier. I have thought about this for a while. But you do bring to mind something interesting. My neighbor is an ex bicycle store owner and he also has a heli arch welder too.

workman is made to haul few 100# of cargo that E trike is not now what do you think is made stronger?

thats a purdy trike :)

would love to hack up that rear axle and insert a dif, personally...

the 2nd last pic...something looks different...the rear sprocket on a jackshaft or something?

ill ignore the different pipe in each pic :)

cus, boy, id love to make a pipe for that one!

Back