CVT My nuvinci hub seems to be squeeking???

give me vtec

Local time
8:01 AM
anybody know what could be causing this... I didnt see anything about maintenance in the owners manual, am I supposed to be oiling this thing somewhere?

There is no provision to oil it ,the 'traction fluid' is supposed to do the job.If you freewheel it does it still squeek? does it allways squeek, low&high gear?.What gives?.did it start suddenly or came on gradually?

I didnt think it needed to be oiled either... just noticed it yesterday. It only does it at low speeds and it becomes really pronounced when I pedal... it may be the new heavy duty freewheel I put on day before yesterday. hope its not the hub.

They tell you to leave it alone in the owners manual (N171B), will void warranty if you do.Squeeky freewheel ?, odd!!

After all the off roading I had done with my NV hub the freewheel started getting a grinding noise that I could only notice while spinning the cranks backwards while I was off the bike. Apparently I got some sand or mud in it over time. I remedied this by blowing lots of WD40 through the gap in the freewheel while spinning it (off the bike).
Once I couldn't hear any more sand grinding around in there I spent maybe 30 minutes cramming grease into the small gap in the freewheel until I was satisfied the whole thing was packed. It spins as if it were new again.

Try cleaning around your sprocket thoroughly with soapy water and a rag first. Make sure your chain tension isn't so tight you could pluck it like a guitar string. If it WAS the freewheel the squeaking would probably get better when you pedal, not worse. Try pedaling it on a stand so you can listen for the source of the squeak. Even a loose spoke can squeak. I doubt its the hubs internals, if it is theres nothing you can do about it anyway.

After all the off roading I had done with my NV hub the freewheel started getting a grinding noise that I could only notice while spinning the cranks backwards while I was off the bike. Apparently I got some sand or mud in it over time. I remedied this by blowing lots of WD40 through the gap in the freewheel while spinning it (off the bike).
Once I couldn't hear any more sand grinding around in there I spent maybe 30 minutes cramming grease into the small gap in the freewheel until I was satisfied the whole thing was packed. It spins as if it were new again.

Try cleaning around your sprocket thoroughly with soapy water and a rag first. Make sure your chain tension isn't so tight you could pluck it like a guitar string. If it WAS the freewheel the squeaking would probably get better when you pedal, not worse. Try pedaling it on a stand so you can listen for the source of the squeak. Even a loose spoke can squeak. I doubt its the hubs internals, if it is theres nothing you can do about it anyway.

That sounds like a good idea... i will get some wd-40 tomorrow.

Thanks jake

Reading a pdf document it said this in it .

After cleaning spray some oil or Teflon on the rubber seals around the axle.
This will avoid a squeaky sound when the bike is slowly moved.

See if that helps!

Back