My Old Bike

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mikem, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mikem

mikem Member

Below is a picture of my old Yamaha years ago after a good morning at the local yard sales. Big time fun riding around meeting folks and doing a little treasure hunting on two wheels! :pleased:

Hoping to do this in the summer of 2009 on my first MB build ... which I'm about positive will be a Schwinn Meridian trike with a Robin/Subaru 35 friction drive from Stanton ... the ULTIMATE GeezerMobile! :2thumbsup:

Thanks to all the members here for answering my questions. Saving my pennies so when the weather breaks I can get out in the shop and make it happen. (Meanwhile will keep shoveling Michigan snow and enjoying the great MB forums!)

God Bless and Happy New Year to All!

www.thewaysidechapel.org/yam2.jpg

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Holy Toledo, Mike! Now that's carrying a load! How was the handling when it was packed like that?

3. mikem

mikem Member

Bike Handling

Hey Kil,
    The handling was just fine ... it was the getting on and off that was a real bear. You had to kind of raise one leg and hop backwards on the other one as I recall. I was much younger (and dumber) then!

4. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Now I'm scratching my head wondering which model that was. Almost looks like the old
    XS 650 Special. But that engine and transmission doesn't look quite right for that.

And it kinda looks a bit more like the 750 or 850 Special, except for the chain drive.

So dont' hold out on me, Mike....what is that thing?

5. mikem

mikem Member

Yamaha Special

Hey bgw ... Happy New Year!

About the bike ... my old memory says it was a 1982 Yamaha 400 (440?) Special. I'm not sure on the year but one of those cc numbers is right.

The bike ran great and never gave me any problem other than being cold blooded. Sometimes on a chilly Michigan morning it could wear down its cheap $30 battery and me before starting on the last kick!

Hope your year is off to a great start!
    :sunny: