My Project, insight need

Iwannagofast

Local time
12:35 PM
New member with a new project that im starting. I've got a 5. tecushma gokart engine with a stock clutch on it i plan on welding to an older beach cruiser typer bike frame.
Everything is going to be built from the ground up, and it is going to be stricktly a moped as I plan on removing the pedals.
the question i have it on how to make my own shifter kit. My Idea was to chop the crank arms off and weld a sprocket on the left side of the crank attaches via chain to the motor.

Are you saying that you want typical bicycle gearing (ie; rear chainrings, derrailleur or de-railer), but without pedals?

I imagine it can be done. But I have a feeling that you're going to have to do all the engineering yourself.

Let's see...you mentioned welding a chain ring onto the left side. No doubt this is because your engine output shaft is over there. But if that's the case, then you'd probably be better off going with the SBP shifter kit.

sorry I can't carry it any further. But my metal fabrication skills are virtually zero.

Are you saying that you want typical bicycle gearing (ie; rear chainrings, derrailleur or de-railer), but without pedals?

I imagine it can be done. But I have a feeling that you're going to have to do all the engineering yourself.

Let's see...you mentioned welding a chain ring onto the left side. No doubt this is because your engine output shaft is over there. But if that's the case, then you'd probably be better off going with the SBP shifter kit.

sorry I can't carry it any further. But my metal fabrication skills are virtually zero.

Yeah that's the plan. In theory I should be able to keep all the gear on the bike intact but at the moment it's not the plan.
That would be a lot of power for a lot of gears, bet a I could break 75mph lol :devilish:

Like bluegoat, my fab skills needs work but my mental skills are good.:geek:

:unsure:If you can position the engine and align the sprocket welded to the left side, you can use the bike's entire sprocket system, including shifters.

:unsure:For the engine to be balanced in the frame, a jackshaft is probably necessary. If not worried about balancing, just align the sprockets and weld in the mounts.

Back