My second build HOT ROD

My second build is going to much longer do to expanse and being a scratch build. This one is going to be my HOT ROD and will be tricking the engine out since I have my stock daily rider. Biggest thing I am trying to figure out is what wheels I am going to run or build. Any suggestions are welcome. A few things I have gotten so far.
Thanks
Jeff

I will be doing my own porting, port timing and cutting piston. What do y'all think or recommend?

Just remove 1.6mm from the piston intake skirt and use your rotary tool and cutting disc to raise the exhaust port by 1mm increments till you achieve the speed you want. Use a small file to round off the newly formed lip where you removed metal. That is to prevent the piston rings from snagging on that lip.

are you going to go with a reed valve or no?

for piston port engines I trim the piston skirt, widen and polish the exhaust port, install a second base gasket, lower the intake port back to stock, increase the intake duration, stuff the case, cut out the transfer walls, remove any casting flashes from the transfers, and notch the piston at the transfers for more duration and better flow

for reed valves I do the same thing plus cut a window in the piston and a third transfer over the intake.

I don't suggest using a cutting disc, a carbide burr will give you much cleaner results. if it's an option a milling machine makes widening the exhaust port much easier.

are you going to go with a reed valve or no?

for piston port engines I trim the piston skirt, widen and polish the exhaust port, install a second base gasket, lower the intake port back to stock, increase the intake duration, stuff the case, cut out the transfer walls, remove any casting flashes from the transfers, and notch the piston at the transfers for more duration and better flow

for reed valves I do the same thing plus cut a window in the piston and a third transfer over the intake.

I don't suggest using a cutting disc, a carbide burr will give you much cleaner results. if it's an option a milling machine makes widening the exhaust port much easier.

What carburetor are you running? For now no reed valve. When you say stuff the case are you talking about reduce case volume? Do you by chance have any pictures?

Last edited:
I'm using a Keihin PZ19, but it's not working too well with my current setup (carb is at a fairly extreme angle due to clearance issues) and will be switching to a diaphragm style from a pocket bike sooner or later.

cranks2-jpg.35123

I go a little further than that and weld in some material between the case halves too, just enough that the rod end doesn't smack it.

Last edited:
On my 1/5 scale radio control buggy they do not come with full circle cranks so they make stuffed cranks to take up some crank case volume. On my RC buggy I run diaphragm carbs on them.

On my first build I have a SHA on it as the stock carburetor would not fit. I all so had to change the front engine mount to get clearance but it does not rub anywhere now.
Thanks
Jeff

Can't wait to see it once you start puttin it together man. I haven't got a motor for my frame yet. I'm trying to decide between goin with an actual skyhawk motor in suit with the frame or maybe a pk80 motor.

I have my Sky Hawk on the way so I know what I will be running. Once here first thing is to tear it all the way down. The eBay motor I bought for my other motor bike had a bunch of trash, grit and dirt in it. Glade I took it all apart. On this build will be doing much more to the inside.

The eBay motor I bought for my other motor bike had a bunch of trash, grit and dirt in it.

I must of been lucky with my eBay motor, it runs great. Been messin with carb jets and it's almost there. I got to 30mph yesterday with a 44t and weighing 240. Not bad for all stock with what they refer to as a HP carb. In fact, the eBay motor runs a hell of a lot better than the gasbike silver slant I mounted for a brief time. In the future I will spend the extra and go with either a skyhawk motor or maybe a pk80 just for some kind of reputable quality straight outta the box. Other than that, I have no problem with stock performance with the HP carb. It's like a cheap Dellorto knock off but is a big improvement over the stock NT. I might start a build thread once I get a few more parts for the skyhawk frame.

Back