my stupid mistake. ohhh sprockets!!

F

fireball_jones

hello all. just a warning to be carefull welding up/onton bicycle sprockets. Ive just spent two weeks waiting for one to come. took it to the workshop, got it all taked up. and noticed...."fffffffffffiddle sticks" is what i said or something like that:cry:. it had warped by 6/7 mmm/ 3/8 inch.

so i would want this to happen to others it looks alittle over 1mm of 1/16 or alittle over 20 gauge for your information. be careful! do me a :rolleyes: like me. any one else what to admit to supid mistakes?:geek::cry:

LOL,

have you seen any of MY threads ?!? i generally go from one issue to another in rapid succession !!

i found in my latest build that i could stack 3 23T cassette sprockets together to use with a 3/16" wide MEGA stunt chain. no welding needed in that application.

steve

Sorry to hear it, man.

Yup, there've been (more than) a few times when I've thought, "Now why didn't I see that coming?" or "How could I have been so dumb?" or.........well, you get the point.

Good luck with the replacement.

one step forward. one step back. one to the side..... thats the cha cha cha

I manange to get it solved by cutting some material out of the none structaral part of the sprocket., which relieved the tention. it just "popped " back into being flat.... sort of makes me think "no ..no that was way to easy" i stood back from the bench expecing the the ground to swollow me up or to get hit by a metorite to rebalance my luck but,.... everything was ok.

however still having some dificulty putting a proper weld down without turning it into a metal taco. i having to keep cheacking its flat after every bit of weld at cool it down with a damp cloth. i just tacofied it! so im taking a braek before i grind the welds off.. of well im open to suggestions Im using an arc welder if thats any help.

fireball:
With an arc welder(or any welder for that matter) i've found a auto-darkening helmet to be a great tool.
Also with ANY work try to look at the BIG picture first....what u do with something invariably has a flow-on effect to other things.

Back