my stupid mistake. ohhh sprockets!!

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by fireball_jones, Jun 20, 2009.

1. hello all. just a warning to be carefull welding up/onton bicycle sprockets. Ive just spent two weeks waiting for one to come. took it to the workshop, got it all taked up. and noticed...."fffffffffffiddle sticks" is what i said or something like that:sweatdrop:. it had warped by 6/7 mmm/ 3/8 inch.

so i would want this to happen to others it looks alittle over 1mm of 1/16 or alittle over 20 gauge for your information. be careful! do me a :dunce: like me. any one else what to admit to supid mistakes?:detective::sweatdrop:

2. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

have you seen any of MY threads ?!? i generally go from one issue to another in rapid succession !!

i found in my latest build that i could stack 3 23T cassette sprockets together to use with a 3/16" wide MEGA stunt chain. no welding needed in that application.

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it, man.

Yup, there've been (more than) a few times when I've thought, "Now why didn't I see that coming?" or "How could I have been so dumb?" or.........well, you get the point.

Good luck with the replacement.
  4. one step forward. one step back. one to the side..... thats the cha cha cha

I manange to get it solved by cutting some material out of the none structaral part of the sprocket., which relieved the tention. it just "popped " back into being flat.... sort of makes me think "no that was way to easy" i stood back from the bench expecing the the ground to swollow me up or to get hit by a metorite to rebalance my luck but,.... everything was ok.

however still having some dificulty putting a proper weld down without turning it into a metal taco. i having to keep cheacking its flat after every bit of weld at cool it down with a damp cloth. i just tacofied it! so im taking a braek before i grind the welds off.. of well im open to suggestions Im using an arc welder if thats any help.
  5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

With an arc welder(or any welder for that matter) i've found a auto-darkening helmet to be a great tool.
    Also with ANY work try to look at the BIG picture first....what u do with something invariably has a flow-on effect to other things.