my two bikes called big blue&little red

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by whelan wheels, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Well here it is my two bike's big blue and little red. The first bike (big blue) i've had for around 6 years five of them hangining off the ceiling missing the back wheel and two years ago Ifinally decidedto restore it and put it back on the road and found it to be the perfct canidate for motorizing. The other bike (little red) was givin to me last year since the original owner was going to throw it away, so i took it off his hands and when i got it ,it was ready for the scrap heap so i spent one and half months restoring the bike and motorizing it. It also has gone through many particular changes since the restoration and has been improved upon as of late.

Attached Files:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Good looking stuff.

And I see that you keep fenders on your bikes. I agree.

3. hello there bluegoatwoods

Well to say is thank's for the comment and also the fenders are clip on style which greatly improves upon safty and if you take a closer look at the blue bike you'll see that the front fender is actully a rear fender modified into a front one. Also I added an extention fender tip which extends it by about let's say 6 to 7 inches and also the top of the fender extends about 9 forward than the standerd front fender. :cool2: :D

4. hello there again

Well here are some more pics of big blue. Sorry about the low resolution of the pic's only have a cheap digital camera. :cool2: :D

Attached Files:

5. mabman

mabman Member

Looks like you need to reset your Schraeder valve from that last picture? Run ning valves like that puts alot of undue stress on them that can lead to premature failure at the most inopportune moment. Like the fenders though, good coverage. I just took a pair of 26" fenders I got for 5$ and fit them on my mtn. bike for the spring runoff. Not the best coverage but sufficient for a mtn. bike.
    DSC01177.JPG

6. hello there mabman

Well good point,i guess it's because at the time when the pic was taken I was running the tire at half air pressure and after hitting so many rough spots on the road at low air pressure the tube inside the tyre it self shifted by a half an inch or so. I also hand made my own rear fender to keep the slush off my back. thanks for the comment's. :cool2::D

Attached Files:

7. by the way mabman

What kind of front fork is that on your mountain bike it all most look's like a girder suspension fork am I correct on this? :cool2: :D:confused:

8. mabman

mabman Member

Running lower pressures will do that, the bead on the tire actually slips and the tube goes with it. We used to use a bead locker on our MXers that effectively clamps the bead in place and that might live again?

Yes that is a girder fork and sometimes known as a paralleogram fork that I really like alot. I am a bigger fan of this type of fork than telescopic ones. It was made in France by the company there that makes Harley suspension aftermarket parts actually. They no longer make them and were wicked expensive (1100 eu) due to all the carbon fiber and machine work when they were available. When they shut down they sold off their back stock for a much better deal and I ended up with a few of them. We had to machine new dropouts and install them on the forks though to accommodate 29" wheels as they were made for 26" ones.

I plan on using one on an MB someday but will need a stouter shock to handle the extra weight and abuse. The bottom mount is very specialized and it may be a chore to find on however and will probably just end up having to re-fit one with the same length and stroke.

9. here's some more pic's of little red

Well here it is some more pic's of little red during the process of restoration and motorization. :cool2: :D

Attached Files:

10. couple of new pic's of big blue

Here's a couple of new pic's of big blue i took today on my front step. Tell me what you think. :indian_brave:

Attached Files:

11. mabman

mabman Member

I think you may want to read this. http://www.ehow.com/how_14175_cut-bikes-cable.html The proper length of cable and housing helps their performance greatly. Here is a prime example of a properly cabled bike. Mvc-552f.jpg A dremel tool works but a good pair of cable cutters is under $20 and a good investment.

12. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

What mabman sayes is clearly right....cable length & valve stem angle is important............infact ALL this major/minor detailed stuff is important.

13. hello there mabman and fetor65

:indian_brave:I can say that i've had no problem about the cables so far and all seems to function well so far although shortning the throttle cable would be a challange
    in it's self because of the standered lenght it comes in. As well to say the clutch cable could be shortened by 3" but i find that any shorter it'll imped upon the perfomance of a smooth clutch operation which i seem to have it at right now. The valve stem i will get to work on when the weather improves upon it's self soon.:red_indian:

14. more pic's of little red

got some new pic's of little red before the tear down. what you think.:indian_brave::indian_chief:

Attached Files: