Tubes My wonder pop protection (Havent poped a tube since)

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Rileymoto, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Rileymoto

Rileymoto Member

I use to ride and pop a tube each week till i came out with this beautiful idea!!!

I thought... Well i popped this one... Why waste it??

If you got any spare tubes around your house you will love this!!!

take your old popped tube...

Cut it round the inside edge and cut off the valve..

Take you brand new tube

put it inside the old tube

Now you got a double backed up tube!!!!

Now i do that i never have to pay for expensive tubes and i still haven't popped one of mine yet!!! :helmet:

2. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Thanks for sharing the great tip. Flat tires can be so frustrating. I once had 3 flat tires on my front tire and one flat tire on my rear tire on a 90 mile round trip. I ran out of spare tubes and patches and ditched my bike in a ditch on the side of the rode and hitchhikes it back home.
  3. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

that's a really good idea. I love it when people come up with cleaver ideas like that.

I just use the green slime... haven't had a flat since I started using when I rode BMX bikes back in the 90's.

but the double tube would be less messy. I may give it a shot
  4. Rileymoto

Rileymoto Member

Well another good tip is if you really need to ride home and you got a bit of a ride...

Stuff as much pineneedles and leaves as you can in the tire

It can get your bike home in one piece without having to ruin your rims!
  5. give me vtec

wow... that actually works?? Sounds like you have done that before
  6. Rileymoto

Rileymoto Member

Yeah i mean when you are mountain biking far in the forest and you shred a tire on lots of glass and you don't want to ruin your rims

It works till you get home then you can take your old popped tube and do what i said to do in the original post!!!

Its actually not a bad ride, riding on pine needles
  7. give me vtec

thats pretty hardcore... very cool
  8. Rileymoto

Rileymoto Member

Yeah i am so hardcore i eat lightning for breakfast...
  9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Great idea. Changing a rear tire on a motorized bike takes considerably longer than on my pedal bikes.
  10. Gibsonvair

Gibsonvair New Member

11. loquin

loquin Active Member

That's not a motorized bike, though, Steve. No pedals...
  12. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Having to deal with 2 chains is what takes so much time.
  13. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

Wow. You can't get much "greener" than pine needle inner tubes. Should be worthy of some sort of award!
  14. hurricane billy

hurricane billy New Member

great ! living at the beach(at least herre in NC)we are always poping tubes .sand spears
  15. Pirate88179

Pirate88179 Member

That is a really nice frame mount installation. What engine is that?

16. juliman

juliman Member

hey , i know this thread is a bit old but thats what i have been doing for a long time,and whenever i pop another tire i just add it to the ones already in there, so i have like 4 tubesaround a heavy duty one LOL
  17. loquin

loquin Active Member

juliman, I'm curious - if the old inner tube was stopping the punctures ... why are there four of them now there???
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  18. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

wow, i have never had a flat tire on ony of my bikes.
    do you have the rubber liners inside the rims to protect the spokes from rubbing on the tubes?
    liners are the way to go because they are cheap and easy to install.
    the green slime stuff is ok, but if you ever need to deflate the inner tube to put on a new tire, the green slime will clog up the valve stem and make it very hard to get the tube flat enough to get the tire off the rim.
  19. juliman

juliman Member

the more the merrier lol, some would call it extra insurance , i call it never have a flat tyre again lol =)
  20. loquin

loquin Active Member

I just thought it was ironic, and a bit funny, that that, since you said "whenever i pop another tire i just add it to the ones already in there" since, after the first time or two that it DIDN'T work (else, I wouldn't have another flat...) , I think I would stop adding the ineffective inner tube...:jester: