Naval Base Riding ?

PAPAROACH

Local time
10:40 PM
Well i got brakes and have purchased a helmet for the bike and just need a light kit but i am trying to make it as legal as possible for prospectivly ridding it to work on NS Norfolk, VA. I plan on going to base safety to get a better understanding of the rules. Has anyone outhere riddin there bike on any Bases in the Hampton Roads area? I really want to ride this thing to work. Any help would be great.:helmet::helmet:

I'm not sure if any members have legally ridden on a military base. You may be the tip of the spear in that area.
I would think the MPs would allow electric assist bicycles since they are allowed on the roads by federal statute.

Tip of the spear will have to work. I have go out to sea for a week but i will find out more when i get back. I am very determined about this.

There aren't many motorized touring bikes, so a lot of police probably haven't seen other motorized tour bikes; but so far riding on Interstate shoulders (practically across Nevada, and many other times), putting an MB on a bus bike racks (sometimes with a cover, but not always), going through a severe police checkpoint to the National hippie rainbow gathering (where cars were getting tickets for stuff like items hanging from the rear view mirror), riding on bike paths (with the motor off), riding throughout California with only an out of state I.D. (no drivers license); all haven't been a problem, in fact they've just been curious at most.

NORVA was always a ***** to ride around on anything 2 wheeled. Expect at the least to have valid insurance, a helmet, a yellow or orange safety vest while operating along with lighting of some sort. It was so much of a PITA when I came in from a Med/IO cruise I ended up buying a car to avoid the hassle (and to take a bike off the base)

regulations for on post riding

Hey Paparoach,
Thera are a number of thing that need to happen before you can ride on a miltary base. I can only talk about Army posts though. But I think DOD has the same regs throughout. For me I had to take motorcycle safty coarse. Get my motorcycle permit, where a DOT helmet and full reflective vest. Oh, and DOD register

I can't state how Naval Bases are. But here is a condensed version of what must be accomplished to get an Air Force Unit Commander to approve the rider motoring around on a base. This is an Air Force wide instruction; compliance is mandatory:

AF Instruction 91-207 AF Materiel Command Sup1, 1 Oct 2007

Commander's Motorcycle Safety Briefing and Risk Assessment

The unit commander/director will conduct a mandatory motorcycle rider counseling session for each rider within 30 days of the rider's arrival. This one-on-one session will be accomplished prior to approving member's authorization to operate a motorcycle on/off base. This session checklist will be in the rider's personnel file. It will be signed by the unit commander, the motorcycle rider's supervisor, the unit motorcycle safety coordinator, and the motorcycle rider himself.

Requirements:
1) Rider has a state-issued motorcycle license/endorsement. Show proof.
2) Rider completed Motorcycle Safety Foundation Training course and carry the MSF card as proof. Provide date of training.
3) Commander stresses mandatory riding gear utilization (helmet, brightly colored vest, heavy pants and ankle-protecting footwear).
4. Commander encourages member to use the "T-CLOCK" inspection checklist (below).
5) Commander discusses rider's condition (fatigue, drinking, darkness risks, weather)
6) Commander discusses risks involved with operation of a motorcycle, lack of self-discipline, disregard for laws, poor conduct.

Disregard of mandatory requirements could subject rider to discipline under Uniform Code of Military Justice.

7) Rider registers motorcycle at Pass and ID.
8) Rider provides history of riding, traffic citations, mishaps/injuries, circumstances, faults.
9) Commander determines if rider is high risk. Commander can require additional counseling.

T-CLOCK Checklist:
T: Tire and Wheel condition. Tires have good tread.
C: Controls: Inspect wear and tear of cables and hoses, ability to perform as designed.
L: Lights, horn and wiring: fully functional; brake light illuminates with front and back brake lever operated independently.
O: Oil levels.
C: Chassis: Condition of frame, suspension, chains, belts, fasteners.
K: Kickstand: Functional and in good condition.

The commander cannot deny the rider ability to ride off base; only authorization. But the commander can impose punishment under the UCMJ to persuade the rider to comply to rules or voluntarily give up riding. (When in the military, personnel are Government property, 24 hours per day. Disregard to take care of yourself is punishable.)

Motorbike riders who complain about complying with civil laws get no sympathy from me.

Last edited:
Finally got a answer. I called base safety and got laughed at first. iI then used my chain of command and my safety rep called al base rep and said i can ride on base if i have a reflective vest and follow all the city laws. Wish me luck. No safety course needed or MC license

Last edited:
Was thinking this myself, but I am a Naf employee on NASNI here in CA. Even though I wouldn't even wanna waist any gas on base, I hope I don't get any flack about even peddling my cruiser down the road on to Work. The other day I spotted a MP that glanced at me, while cruising on the sidewalk. And I wasn't wearing a helmet! But just footing it while I was sitting on the bike. Today I got a dot approved skullcap, so no worries there.

The base seams lax if you ask a civ like myself up to a usaf,army or even usmc base it feels like a park with everyone sporting cammys. Lol I enjoy watching the ultimate Frisbee games.

But I really don't think I'd have any issues. I will update on this in the future.

Yeah Dragon, look up naval instruction 5100.12h on the safety senter web site and there is some good stuff in there. Good Luck

Back