NE-R Tires On My NE-5?

Hal the Elder

Local time
3:10 PM
I like the looks of the fatter tires on the NE-R. It looks like those 3" tires will still clear both forks of my NE-5.

I would like the "huskier" look of my bike with those tires.

That's it...
HAL

Hi Hal & Oscar,

They won't fit, unless you make a lot of changes. Your current fenders aren't big enough. The sheeve has to be spaced away from the spokes to clear the larger tire. If you install wider rims on Oscar, and use the 2.125 tire it will ride entirely different. Oscar had 1.75 rims and 2.125 tires, not sure why Whizzer elected to use the smaller rims. When a 2.125 tire is installed on a 1.75 rim, the tire is "rounded", whereas a 2.125 tire on a 2.125 rim more of the tread touches the road. All of my personal bikes use the wider rim, and the ride has a more solid feel.

Have fun,

Last edited:
nuts

HEY QUENTON:

I noticed that not only would the wider tire rub the drive belt, but spacing the sheave so the belt would clear the tire would result in the belt rubbing the upper and lower rear fork members and would cause a misalignment between the sheave and the clutch pulley as well.

It looks like the only way I could have those 3" tires would be to BUY a 2009 Whizzer NE-R (which I'm not ruling out), but first I want to read a long-term review on the bike!

HAL

Last edited:
Back