Neck tube/head set loosening up

Dirt Nerd

Local time
6:54 PM
now that i've been hitting the streets, i'm discovering a bit of play in the neck tube.

The frame is a early 50s B6. I thought i had snugged it up w/o crushing the bearings.

Have any of you encountered this and thoughts on preventing it? are there any diagrams showing the reassembly?

The only thing I can think of is do you have the washer with the tab on it that fits in the slot on the steer tube? (neck) I think that's there to stop you from over tightening the nut. Chris

Thanks Chris - here's an old pic when i assembled it originally. i know i had a washer in there that was slotted.it feels like it's riding on the bearings and allowed to sway a few millimeters. i'm stumped.

I found this diagram explaining the different head sets. Mine would be the "B". Notice it doesn't have the slotted washer like the "DX" version.

1948_schwinn_12.jpg

I can see where the slotted washer helps. I just don't think it was my setup. I thought i had the washer. maybe i didn't? crap.

Paul, I came across this statement in a ad for replacement headsets on eBay, "In rare cases some old bikes may of seen too much excessive use and the head tube is stretched, making the cups a loose fit, in that event a shim may be needed for a tight fit."
This could pertain to your situation. If the top or bottom bearing cup is loose in the neck of the frame itself, you may try putting a shim in there. These should be very tight fitting and often need to be tapped in with a hammer. If yours are loose this could cause the problem you describe.
Chris

Thanks Chris - i checked and i'm all firmed up, it's like there is play on the bearings. i don't want to crush them, maybe i didn't tighten enough? I'm planning to tear it down this weekend to see.

i'm curious what the shim looks like?

just an update: a bike buddy stopped by sunday to take a look. we hoisted the bike up to take weight off the front end. Backed off the Springer bolt, and the top head set, then lined things up properly. It wasn't aligned right in the first place - rookie mistake (just like referencing it as a neck tube, not a steering tube). This was caused by me not wanting to crush the bearings. once tightened down, i let my buddy be the only other person to ride the bike. His smile was proof that the bike brings joy. He claimed it's the second most exciting ride, right behind an Austin Healey.

Back