Need 6sp indexed FW cassette 14 to 32 or wider

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by AussieSteve, Feb 10, 2010.

1. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

The title says it all. 6-speed cassettes appear to be disappearing.
    The orig is a 6-sp indexed Shimano, 14-16-18-21-24-28.
    1st gear is too high for my usage, with a shift kit.
    a 14 to 32 or 14 to 34 would be more useful. Even a 14 to 36 if they're available. That would be better still.
    Anyone know of a source, especially in but not restricted to Australia?

... Steve

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010

2. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Hey Steve, Ebay has 13-34 Megarange Shimano.The sellers name is Crosslakesales and he will ship to you!!Look through his ebay store he had the starting at 99 cents I payed 15 bucks shipped.Just search megarange shimano on ebay.

Motomagz

3. AussieSteve

Thanks, MotoMagz, sounds great.
    13-34 is almost perfect. I was just about to do full calculations for 14-32, but that's much better.
    I guess that's eBay US, not eBay Australia. Only searched eBay Oz earlier, but I'm not fussy there.
    6-speed?

... Steve

4. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Yep 6 speed on Us ebay,Goodluck

Motomagz

5. AussieSteve

Thanks again, MotoMagz.
    Found and bought one. It's on it's way.
    $61AU delivered, but that's life. (~$14AU for the cassette, $47AU for delivery)

The sprockets are: 13-15-18-21-24-34
    Big step from 1st to 2nd, but that's OK. Most important is the low first gear.

Actually, after doing the math, the 1st to 2nd step looks pretty good.
    At 7400 RPM, with 11T>36T, 24T to new cassette, it will do 17mph in 1st, 25mph in 2nd, 28mph in 3rd, 33mph in 4th, 40mph in 5th and 46mph in 6th. At 2000RPM in 1st, it will do 4.7mph. Not too bad at all. (Have to copy this for the other thread.)

... Steve

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. AussieSteve

This is the one I bought - might not be the right type.

... Steve

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Steve,
    That is the same one I use. It is a freewheel so it screws on your hub. The other kind is a cassette to be used on a freehub body freewheel. If yours is a freewheel type you should be good to go. If yours turns out to be a freehub body let me know. I have a few of these mega range units. They are 7 speed but that really isn't a problem. You can either get a 7 speed grip shifter or just use your 6 speed shifter and essentially lock out 7th.

8. AussieSteve

Thanks, Jim, you've eased my mind. A chat with MotoMagz had me thinking I'd possibly ordered the wrong one.
    His just arrived, so I posted the pic to double-check that we've ordered the same one.
    When I looked at mine today, in bad light, it appeared the same as the one above, but of course I couldn't see the splines. Could see the two holes for a pin wrench, though.
    As I mentioned last week, I'm a beginner to modern bicycles. Even as a kid, I only had 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub gears, with the miniature chain coming out of the centre of the axle on the LHS. Speaking of which, a good solid set of 4-5 speed hub gears would be great with these bikes.

... Steve

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

Yep thats the one I got.Thread on Freewheel.

Motomagz

10. AussieSteve

Wonderful. Thanks for all the help, Keith and Jim. I'll still whip my back wheel off later today for a look, to double-check, but now I'm pretty sure I'm OK.
    I can just sit on my hands and wait for it to arrive.
    Meantime, it's the 11T, 36T and 24T next, for the shift kit.
    Hopefully all of this will help someone else in the future. I hate hogging a thread like this, purely for my own benefit.

...Steve

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  11. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

also need a mega range derailleur

Well mine is on and my Mega range capatible derailleur just came Ups.Got it for 14 bucks shipped on ebay also.Its a Shimano Rd-tx51.Not the best, but better than what I had.Heres pictures of both.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      175.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views:
  12. AussieSteve

That raises another issue - whether my current (6-speed) Shimano SIS derailleur is compatible with the new MegaRange (6-speed) cluster/cassette.
    Again, I'll sit on my hands and wait and see.

... Steve

13. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

I do know there are some derailleurs that won't work on the mega range units but I have not found one that didn't work so far.

14. AussieSteve

Thanks again, Jim, I can probably rest easy and get some sleep, now, before I fall over.
    I had just started a search on 'megarange derailler/derailleur', to see what's compatible.
    Tried reading the part number on my derailler, but my eyes aren't up to it right now. (5am, no sleep, need newer glasses.)
    I'm just going to assume that everything will work, for now.
    Meantime, it's pretty good the way it is, so none of this is urgent. I'm still in no real hurry. As long as I know that everything is organised, I'm happy.
    I'm tuning and planning the next build, while I wait. (Full suspension, shift kit, head, good lights, centre-stand etc etc. An even better version of the current bike, once I know what I'm doing.)

... Steve

15. AussieSteve

My MegaRange cluster arrived today. It will fit my hub OK, but when I look at my current (Shimano 6-speed) derailleur, it appears that the top guide pulley will run into the side of the extra-large first gear sprocket. It doesn't look like the derailleur is adjustable downwards for clearance. Is that the compatibility issue? Is there some hidden method of adjustment?
    I might have to find a 6-speed Shimano MegaRange compatible derailleur to clear the 34 tooth sprocket.
    I'll start a new thread in 'General Bicycle Repaair and Modification' if necessary, but thought I'd ask here first.

Any info will be much appreciated.

... Steve

16. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Give it a shot. When I first put mine on I didn't think it would work either for the same reason you describe but once I put the chain on everything seemed to work fine.

17. AussieSteve

Thanks Jim, I will.
    I was wondering if I was looking at it wrongly and that it might still work.
    I don't have a freewheel removal tool to suit, so I'll take it to the local shop for removal, then cross my fingers. Been doing lots of that lately.

I was hoping to find out definitively before pulling anything apart. I have to walk miles with the wheel to get the old cluster removed, then if the new one is a problem, I have to do it again, refit the old cluster and derailleur to keep the bike running in the meantime, buy the correct derailleur, then go through it all again. I would have liked to know that everything was going to go together first time. Not to worry.

... Steve

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  18. AussieSteve

So near (and yet so far).

Went in and got the old cluster removed, then fitted the new one without dramas.
    It almost changes into first, but the top guide roller sits a bit high and hits the side of the sprocket but can't climb it. If I hold the derailleur down a bit, it goes into first easily, but can't do it unaided. I set the low limit as far in as I dared and tightened the cable as far as I could while still getting 6th OK, but it won't quite do it still.
    For tests, I manually put it into first, then didn't select first again until I could do it manually while stationary. What a gearing, with the 36T chainring driving the 34T 1st gear sprocket. No problem with clutch take-offs when the engine is already running. Even with the stock 10T/44T/36T on the shift kit, I can do about 5mph at 2000RPM in 1st. (And 51mph in 6th) Good stuff.

To save hassles and more long walks, I'll leave this cluster on now, order a suitable derailleur, (probably the same Shimano Tourney MegaRange RD-TX51 as MotoMagz) and avoid 1st gear in the meantime.
    Thanks for the help all, this little machine is almost there.

Just ordered an RD-TX51 derailleur from eBay Oz, $30AU delivered.

... Steve

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  19. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

Bummer that it didn't work out but sounds like you got the right part on the way.

20. AussieSteve

Yeah, life wasn't meant to be too easy - it'd take all of the fun out.
    (The guy at the bike shop today refused to take any money for removing the old freewheel cluster. That's the second person to do that since I started building, the last being the local muffler shop that bent my exhaust. Guess I'd better drop him a six-pack of my home brew.)
    I'll order those sprockets, (11T and 24T), in a week or two. Can't wait to try 11T to 36T, then 24T to the 34T 1st gear sprocket. I'll be able to climb walls with my bodyweight and clutch take-offs will be a piece of cake.

... Steve