Need 6sp indexed FW cassette 14 to 32 or wider

also need a mega range derailleur

Well mine is on and my Mega range capatible derailleur just came Ups.Got it for 14 bucks shipped on ebay also.Its a Shimano Rd-tx51.Not the best, but better than what I had.Heres pictures of both.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 308
That raises another issue - whether my current (6-speed) Shimano SIS derailleur is compatible with the new MegaRange (6-speed) cluster/cassette.
Again, I'll sit on my hands and wait and see.

... Steve

I do know there are some derailleurs that won't work on the mega range units but I have not found one that didn't work so far.

Thanks again, Jim, I can probably rest easy and get some sleep, now, before I fall over.
I had just started a search on 'megarange derailler/derailleur', to see what's compatible.
Tried reading the part number on my derailler, but my eyes aren't up to it right now. (5am, no sleep, need newer glasses.)
I'm just going to assume that everything will work, for now.
Meantime, it's pretty good the way it is, so none of this is urgent. I'm still in no real hurry. As long as I know that everything is organised, I'm happy.
I'm tuning and planning the next build, while I wait. (Full suspension, shift kit, head, good lights, centre-stand etc etc. An even better version of the current bike, once I know what I'm doing.)

... Steve

My MegaRange cluster arrived today. It will fit my hub OK, but when I look at my current (Shimano 6-speed) derailleur, it appears that the top guide pulley will run into the side of the extra-large first gear sprocket. It doesn't look like the derailleur is adjustable downwards for clearance. Is that the compatibility issue? Is there some hidden method of adjustment?
I might have to find a 6-speed Shimano MegaRange compatible derailleur to clear the 34 tooth sprocket.
I'll start a new thread in 'General Bicycle Repaair and Modification' if necessary, but thought I'd ask here first.

Any info will be much appreciated.

... Steve

Give it a shot. When I first put mine on I didn't think it would work either for the same reason you describe but once I put the chain on everything seemed to work fine.

Thanks Jim, I will.
I was wondering if I was looking at it wrongly and that it might still work.
I don't have a freewheel removal tool to suit, so I'll take it to the local shop for removal, then cross my fingers. Been doing lots of that lately.

I was hoping to find out definitively before pulling anything apart. I have to walk miles with the wheel to get the old cluster removed, then if the new one is a problem, I have to do it again, refit the old cluster and derailleur to keep the bike running in the meantime, buy the correct derailleur, then go through it all again. I would have liked to know that everything was going to go together first time. Not to worry.

... Steve

Last edited:
So near (and yet so far).

Went in and got the old cluster removed, then fitted the new one without dramas.
It almost changes into first, but the top guide roller sits a bit high and hits the side of the sprocket but can't climb it. If I hold the derailleur down a bit, it goes into first easily, but can't do it unaided. I set the low limit as far in as I dared and tightened the cable as far as I could while still getting 6th OK, but it won't quite do it still.
For tests, I manually put it into first, then didn't select first again until I could do it manually while stationary. What a gearing, with the 36T chainring driving the 34T 1st gear sprocket. No problem with clutch take-offs when the engine is already running. Even with the stock 10T/44T/36T on the shift kit, I can do about 5mph at 2000RPM in 1st. (And 51mph in 6th) Good stuff.

To save hassles and more long walks, I'll leave this cluster on now, order a suitable derailleur, (probably the same Shimano Tourney MegaRange RD-TX51 as MotoMagz) and avoid 1st gear in the meantime.
Thanks for the help all, this little machine is almost there.

Just ordered an RD-TX51 derailleur from eBay Oz, $30AU delivered.

... Steve

Last edited:
Yeah, life wasn't meant to be too easy - it'd take all of the fun out.
(The guy at the bike shop today refused to take any money for removing the old freewheel cluster. That's the second person to do that since I started building, the last being the local muffler shop that bent my exhaust. Guess I'd better drop him a six-pack of my home brew.)
I'll order those sprockets, (11T and 24T), in a week or two. Can't wait to try 11T to 36T, then 24T to the 34T 1st gear sprocket. I'll be able to climb walls with my bodyweight and clutch take-offs will be a piece of cake.

... Steve

Back