need advice for storing engines

vegaspaddy

Local time
4:16 PM
hi guys,

i need too put my tanaka 32cc and mits 43cc away into storage as i just do not have the time too ride at the moment:cry: (family commitments)

I have emptyied the fuel tanks and thats about it.

All advice welcomed,

thanks VP.

I would always run WD-40 through them. Pull the carb and spark plug and hose it down, turn the motor over too.

Cover it to prevent dirt daubers or other pests clogging the exhaust.

My little 25cc Zenoah that has thousands of miles cranked on the second pull after a year in a box, screamed down the road like a banshee.

You can buy outboard engine storage oil (aka fogging oil) to shoot into the intake while you run the engine and carb dry of fuel. This coats all of the internal parts so they won't rust during storage.

I've alway used wd 40 and had good luck but I'd listen to AG on this one.

If you stuff rags (good idea), dampen them w/ oil, less tatsy to critters!!!

Besides emptying the fuel tank, I always run the engine til out of fuel

thanks for the help guys, i will get round to clening them up this weekend.

I didnt realise you could just run out the fuel on the 2 strokes for some reason i thought this would lead to engine sezing.

While it is true that with pre-mix fuel, the engine gets its lubrication through the fuel - no fuel = no combustion. Also consider that when you are "fogging" an engine for storage, you are essentially spraying extra lube through the intake to coat the engine internals.

As mentioned, WD-40 can be used - but engine storage oil will leave a thicker coating of oil than WD-40, which has a much lighter lubricant and more solvents.

Back