Need Advice/Help on engine mount!

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
6:07 AM
IMG_0802.jpg IMG_0801.jpg IMG_0800.jpg IMG_0803.jpg
Ok I have a 66cc Grubee SkyHawk Engine going on a newer Swinn Cruiser and while putting on the engine & mounts I noticed the engine will sit on the chain with the mounts provided in the kit. So I been looking at options but would really appreciate some advice from fellow forum members who may of had this same issue & know what will work the best. I'm posting pics of my bike, motor & the mounts a friend said "should" work. I also seen a pic on google of a mount that I'd like some feedback on if possible. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Looking at your pictures, I have two things to say. first, i have heard drilling through the frame is a bad idea because vibrations from the motor will eventually saw through the frame. Second, putting anything soft like rubber in between the motor mounts and the frame will reduce vibrations only marginally while screwing up chain alignment. You will then constantly have to move the motor back into place

look at a LOT of pictures of bikes here - then decide how you want to do it

I like the SBP universal front mount system for beach cruisers.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=74&osCsid=i6dpek33jc56pi896pa2edrd27

You get the engine bolted to the seat frame first, then see what you need for the front mount, and in most cases the flexibly of front mount is adaptable enough to get it perfect.

It uses a 'muffler clamp' attached to the front tube which provides a 'flat spot' to bolt the new engine mount to.

For some examples look and my 2-stroke builds.
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=2-stroke&Drive=No
Most every one uses this system and I love it ;-}

IMG_0841.JPG Ok this is the diameter size of the down tube, and the sickbikeparts doesn't offer a mount to fit this size so your 100% right.

IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0848.JPG Ok here in the one pic you can see the gap from the motor to the chain, this is the gap I believe would be preferable for a good installation. This spacing distance is shown in the 2 photos and I also included pics of caliper reflecting the distance detween the down tube and the motor. Thanks for your continued help & please feel free to request any more pics that will further assist you. I appreciate the help.

Ok well this is Ware u got to do something different ....hear is a pic of a u bolt adapter that should work but that big gap I wood go for wood yes wood nice hard wood a bit won't go anywhere and can be made to fit exactly once done up that's it ..how else can you take up that Gap weld a little pipe on with a flat mount plate to fit like a gt2 frame .? I made wood exhaust gasket out of a door wedge /stop so it sat the exhaust off the frame and worked grate .six months later the customer rang up and said Hay it broke when I played with it .and have you got more lol one off.. .He wanted a motor kit on his bike and do anything to make it fit. lol lol wood gasket but motor mount might work good

Attachments

• DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 163
Ok this is the diameter size of the down tube, and the sickbikeparts doesn't offer a mount to fit this size so your 100% right.
Sure they do. The large mount will take a downtube size from 1.5" to 2".
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=85&osCsid=ddcppgjc4n7oao26rbo976r5g4

But you want to mount the metal Z piece to the engine 'upside down' to give you the extra space you want to move the engine up.

Heck, I built over a dozen Micargi Pantera's with the same type frame you have with the Schwinn, with your same engine height problem, and using the SBP front mount does the trick.

2_Pantera66ddR-1280.jpg

PanteraFrontMount.jpg

By using the various spacers in the kit and a good muffler clamp that fits your frame you can move the engine up to not just clear the chain but get the chain guard on too yet still be solid as can be, which means passing my 'Engine Mount Test'.

Any engine mount should, must, meet this test:
Grab the top of your engine head with one hand, and the top bar above it with your other hand, and shove the engine back and forth AS HARD AS YOU CAN, if it moves AT ALL that is a fail because trust me, if it moves with hand power, engine power will make a real mess of it.

Hope that helps ;-}

Last edited:
Sure they do. The large mount will take a downtube size from 1.5" to 2".
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=85&osCsid=ddcppgjc4n7oao26rbo976r5g4

But you want to mount the metal Z piece to the engine 'upside down' to give you the extra space you want to move the engine up.

Heck, I built over a dozen Micargi Pantera's with the same type frame you have with the Schwinn, with your same engine height problem, and using the SBP front mount does the trick.

2_Pantera66ddR-1280.jpg

PanteraFrontMount.jpg

By using the various spacers in the kit and a good muffler clamp that fits your frame you can move the engine up to not just clear the chain but get the chain guard on too yet still be solid as can be, which means passing my 'Engine Mount Test'.

Any engine mount should, must, meet this test:
Grab the top of your engine head with one hand, and the top bar above it with your other hand, and shove the engine back and forth AS HARD AS YOU CAN, if it moves AT ALL that is a fail because trust me, if it moves with hand power, engine power will make a real mess of it.

Hope that helps ;-}
Thanks for your reply, you really offered a lot of useful advice. I mistakenly viewed only the dimensions for the small mount so I didn't think the item was the right fit. I'm assuming since the diameter of my downtube measures 1.6" on the caliper that the 1 1/2- 1 5/8" selection is my correct option (??) but in regards to engine stud width of 1.6 or 1.9" how exactly do I determine this? Do I measure from the inside of one stud to the inside of the other or from the outside to the other outside? And sorry for the novice questions I'm just anxious to get this done & done right.

Back