Need Advice on engines

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by seanhan, Aug 30, 2008.

1. seanhan

seanhan Member

I want to build A bike using the Staton Outside drive. I can't decide on the engine??? Looking at the Robin, Honda, and mutsu.

I weight about 165 Wet, I plan on getting a good cheap M/B like a schwinn fron Target or Walmart.
    From What I read the Honda and mitsu seem to be close in power ???
    and the Robin about 30% less. Would the Robin be able to pull the bike from a stop without peddiling???
    Thanks for any info!!!!

2. kerf

kerf Guest

Seanhan, you could use a shave but that's another thread. If you gear anything low enough to pull from a standing start w/o frying the clutch, top end will be pretty low. Two or three strokes on the pedals is all that's needed.
    Personally, I like the TLE43, very quiet with great power to weight ratio. In this area, I like two strokes.

3. seanhan

seanhan Member

Thanks !! I Like the TLE43 also I looks Like it has a much lower profile, The Honda 50cc kinda looks like someone carrying a refriderator on the back of the Bike !!!!!
    Is it easy to get basic parts for the Mitsu engine.

4. kerf

kerf Guest

Staton and Visa have parts but I've never needed any.

5. seanhan

seanhan Member

Cool !! Well I think I will get the staton with the mitsu engine. Now to find a bike!!!!
    Any Ideas , Looking for somthing Like a mountain bike or cruser .. I am wondering if it would be better to get one with street tires since 95% of my riding will be on paved roads. Would the ride be a Lot smoother then the mountain bike tires ???

6. loquin

loquin Active Member

I use the Mitsubishi, and am happy with it. If you're in a very hilly area, the Honda 50cc has much better torque for hill climbing, though, and is quieter.

7. kerf

kerf Guest

8. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

The mitsu TLE43 is an awesome little engine. You'll love it. As far as bikes go I've been looking at this one as it's got good geometry for a staton rack, full suspension, front disc brake. I'm probably going to pick one up for my next build.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10088399
    or
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8399259

If you're opposed to wallyworld at least check out the rear swingarm on both of these bikes to see what would work well with a staton install. You'll need the 8in extension brackets for rear swingarms of this type. Happy hunting!

9. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea I Looked at those today.. I Like the Mongoose with the front disc brake
    Are the disk brakes good (never used them on A bike) can you get pads for them??
    The NEXT bikes look just like the mongoose.

10. moonlightspecial

moonlightspecial New Member

MY FRIEND IF U WANT POWER UP HILLS AND TOP END ROLLED INTO ONE THEN GO THE JACKSHAFT SYSREM I JUST DONE ONE AND THEY R BULL**** SORRY THEY R THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD CHEERS CRAIG

11. moonlightspecial

moonlightspecial New Member

Ive Tried Nearly All The Systems

:cool:

12. seanhan

seanhan Member

were do i find one ??

13. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

An important consideration is wether or not you need good hill climbing ability.If you do the Honda certainly has something going for it,but in any case gearing down lower will limit your top speed, unless you spring for the NuVinci rear hub (heavy and expensive).There is a supplier that piggybacks the engine drive on a regular deraileur bike, via one of the front sprockets giving 7 gears!.Quite enticing, but this is for use with frame mount engines only.Reliable engines for that type of application are hard to come by.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  14. seanhan

seanhan Member

Not to many hills around here

iT'S FLAT , i SHOULD PROB. JUST GET THE MITSU. ENGINE, tRYING NOW TO FIND A bIKE, i THOUGHT THE ENGINE/DRIVE SELECTION WAS A PAIN, NOW iAM NOT SURE ABOUT A LOT OF THINGS???

i KNOW i WANT AT LEAST A FRONT SUSPENTION OF SOME KIND.
    and no coster brake... Must be 2 hand brakes
    Still stuck on tires nobby or street, I dont plan on riding on dirt, but you never know!!!
    Then there is the shifter thing!!! Looks like a lot of the bikes have those twist grip shifters ... is that going to be a issue.. I really hated those things...:confused:

I saw a schwinn cruiser called point beach or somthing like that...
    Looked simple and cool, had hand brakes and was only around $ 150-179
    Can these chinese made schwinns handle a engine kit without falling apart.

It seems from looking at a lot of post some people are really into the engine kit and not what you are going to ride " The Bike "
    I guess I just have to find one that is comfortable !!!

15. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

You mean the front deraileur shifter?.The Shimano indexed one I have works quite well,the cheapy ones are not so great,you will have no rear one with the Staton gearbox& rear axle.People living on the flats are also pretty happy with the Staton roller drive.Loquin has this setup and likes it.I have a knobby on the rear and a smooth one up front.I know nothing about Schwinn cruisers.If you intend to do any pedaling yourself it's nice to have a front &rear derailleur,also having good cantilever brakes is very important.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  16. sparky

sparky Active Member

Street tires are best for the street, and knobby tires are best for off-road. It's about traction and all.

I hated the twist grip shifters also. Never actually rode on a bike with one of good quality, but they're prolly a lil' better now. But I'm not particularly fond of derailers at all... so I stick with BMXes. If I cared to shift gear ratios, I'd buy a NuVinci hub, because they never jerk or slip... and they combine both pedaling and engine input into the input side of the "gearing". Amazing technology... but it's prolly a waste for flatlanders like ourselves.

I personally think it's best to pick the frame out first, as it's prolly the most personal aspect about your build. You see more mountain bikes & cruisers on here because that's what manufacturers build and consumers buy. I am an extremist... so my collection has started off with a folding 20" bike, which has gotten me into biking more so I'm gonna get a fixed-gear bike (has no freewheel), and then I'll build a motorized recumbent [trike] once I hit the jackpot. A mountain bike is least appealing to me because of my extremist nature I guess.

Personally, I think getting a rack-mount kit is a given. I also think 2-strokes are best for your first build. As for drive systems, they're all good. I have chain, but it does slip off every once in awhile, and my fingers get all greasy. Since I'm on flat land, I wish I woulda started out with a TLE43 friction drive kit from Staton, honestly. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get started, and it should work on virtually any bike you can think of.

G'luck on your journey!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  17. seanhan

seanhan Member

Thank for the assistance, What do you think about a single speed bike, Hard to find one with a rear hand brake.. Would the stanton chain drive work ok on a single speed bike..I dont see where it really matters, all the ones i found have a coster brake on the rear, from what i have read you really want a hand brake for that extra stopping power..
    is this a correct observation???

18. kerf

kerf Guest

The friction drive should work well with a coaster brake so long as you also have a front brake. Remember, about 80% of your stopping ability comes from the front wheel due to weight transfer. If you go chain drive, you will need cable brakes on both wheels.

19. sparky

sparky Active Member

I'm too st00pit to ride on a bike with a coaster brake, and I would prolly kill myself if I rode on something with brakes like that. That's all there is to it for me.

20. kerf

kerf Guest

Sparky, I don't know what you're talking about. I grew up with coaster brakes, true, they cost a couple of broken bones and half a dozen stitches but other than that...........

By the way, shouldn't you be on your way north?