Tubes Need better inner tube

ha... filters. I don't think my word there was that bad. Think of alternatives to doodie that starts with a C.
(gee I hope that doesn't get filtered.)

Artmaker, methinks your Walmart mechanic meant "pothole", not puddle.

A tire within a tire. That's what I've done on "The White Lady", my girlie cruiser. It's been a few months since I got a flat tire.

But then I've abandoned the bikepath and ride down the middle of the roads and highways.

All the nails and **** gets kicked to the curb and shoulder by cars and larger vehicles.:geek:

Artmaker, methinks your Walmart mechanic meant "pothole", not puddle.

lol. May be what he meant, but it was not what he said. I even repeated it back to him. "A puddle? Really? Puddles cause tires to become deformed? You don't say."

As for the tire in a tire honest, I've never heard of that. And the huge nail I managed to pick up would have gone though it. Heck that could have gone through a car tire. Darn thing was about 4 inches long. HOW that stabbed my tire and didn't just get rolled over is a mystery. Probably a fluke too. Hopefully.

I'll try the liner and heavy duty tubes and see.

Never liked the double tire idea personally, it can cause as much problem as alleviate with pinch flats and creating imbalance but the main reason is just too darn heavy.

Decent tires with thorn resistant tubes and tire liners is what I've come to and hundreds of miles with no probs. Careful how you mount the liners though, they too can create more problems with pinching. I could never find good info online from the manufacturers on this. Took me a while and a couple pinch flaps to figure out never cut them, use the overlap and always lap them with the tag end pointing forward.

Never liked the double tire idea personally, it can cause as much problem as alleviate with pinch flat .
i would love to hear your reasoning on this one???how can an extra tire cause pinch flats?the tube doesnt know if its sitting under one tire or two???im still riding on the same tires.as far as weight yes 2 tires r twice as heavy as one.my friction drive still does 30.i cant give my opinion on the liners they sell now cause i havent tried them.and if you havent tried double tires than you shouldnt give opinions on them neither.but yes twice as thick twice as heavy.thnnx for nocking my ideal tho:whistle:

Now guys, play nice! One idea doesn't make another idea wrong. I'd never have known about double tires until I read about it here. And that's what I wanted. Ideas on a better way.

The bike shop (the over priced, too far away, hoity toity bike shop) left me hanging over a week. I finally emailed back asking what the status is, and was told "we are back ordered I suggest you find it on line." WOW. Way to blow off a customer ah?
So... I DID order on line. Got new tubes and liners on the way. Hopefully.

i would love to hear your reasoning on this one???

If it works for you, great, 'nuff said.

We all offer our opinions, that's what this is about. Nothing personal and not knocking it as your idea as it's been around for awhile. I try not to offer opinions on stuff I haven't tried and using a double tire as a liner is something I have tried on the rear wheel of one of my bikes.

Pinch flats occur when the tube, because of inflation pressure, expands into gaps created by placing a liner into the otherwise smooth casing of the original tire. I've found, regardless if it's another bike tire or something like a tuffy, I have to be extremely careful laying in the liner not to create trouble spots. This has been particularly problematic on the friction driven bikes I have because the tire deflection by the drive spindle creates a once per revolution opportunity to slightly unseat the liner/tube arrangement each pass and allows the tube to fill any gap created and thus become pinched. Further, I think pounding over the road can cause some shifting in the liners.

The complete context of my comment was:
Never liked the double tire idea personally, it can cause as much problem as alleviate with pinch flats and creating imbalance but the main reason is just too darn heavy.

There has been a learning curve, trial and error, but I've found using the cautions I mentioned in my previous post that lightweight kevlar liners do the job nicely without adding excessive weight.

Last edited:
Armadillo tires.

I have used an Armadillo kevlar rear tire now on my GEBE for over 2000 miles with no flats. Bike shop guy said this is what the police use for their bikes.

Back