Need choosing a truck advice!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rain City, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Rain City

Rain City Member

I'm looking to take my motorbiking to a new level by buying a cheap pickup truck.

Mostly I want it to transport the motorbikes and my two stroke dirtbike (current project) to and from our cabin, which is about 2 1/2 hours away.

Things to consider when considering the needs of the truck...

2 Dogs
    Girlfriend
    1+ Friend
    2-3 motorbikes
    This will be a 2nd car, 1st is a reliable sedan.

I have been very suprised with the quality of some trucks on CL that are CHEAP - I do not have alot of money to spend. Somewhere around the $1500 mark.

Looking to get decent (not awful) gas mileage, as I don't need v8 power or anything. My GF is pretty set on this truck having an extended cab.

:D Any ideas?

2. spunout

spunout Member

one word: FORD
    we have a ford ranger. ext cab, 6cyl 2wheel drive.
    but with 2 dogs and other ppl and bikes, you may need a full size f150 w/ext cab. still, a 6cyl would work. as much as i love them, 4wheel drive trucks eat gas even if you're not using the 4-by

3. mabman

mabman Member

Get a van. For your needs just as versatile and way more secure. I was worried about gas smell transporting my MAB but if you run a tight ship it isn't a problem. Tow the dirtbike on a little trailer if it is too much for the inside.

I have a 305 V8 with a brown's gas system and get 20 mpg. 84k and only a little bit of rust. I am driving it to MI via Denver in the next couple of weeks. I have about $1500 in to it including registration and a few mods I have done to it. Insurance still costs $$$$$$$$$$$ though as with any rig.
    DSC00707.JPG

Still needs a visor and a set of slotted Mags.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

:Chevy_anim: :Chevy_anim: :Chevy_anim:
    :hurray:
    :pimp2:​

5. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

had a little Ford Ranger -- with a 100 thousand miles -- sold it in
    good running condition for 18 hundred dollars

I have a Dodge Dakota pickup now
    my wife has the Toyota pickup

I must admit everyTHING about the Toyota seems to be better
    power, ride, miliage -- I could keep on going but why -- I want to trade !

ride that thing

7. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

If you are looking for a cheap vehicle, don't lock yourself into any particular brand, and don't pay too much attention to mileage either. If the engine and transmission run/shift well, and the chassis isn't rotted out, you are good to go!

Check the oil fill for signs of sludge from neglect, check the coolant for oil residue (indicative of internal problems like a leaky head gasket), check the automatic transmission fluid for burnt odors and color.

I prefer pushrod engines in beaters, as a timing belt failure in a OHC engine often means bent valves and major repairs. Some OHC engines have chain driven cams, and these types of engines are also preferred.

Inline sixes seem to be particularly bulletproof. Ford kept this type of engine around until 1996. Chrysler ditched the Slant Six in '87. Chevy's inline went extinct in 1988. Jeep continued making their inline six until 2006, but hasn't made a pickup since 1992. (That's why you see so many old Wranglers, Cherokees, and Grand Cherokees - they won't die!)

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. mikem

mikem Member

Maybe a Trailer?

Just a thought ... since you already have a reliable vehicle ... you can buy a nice trailer for under $1,000. Of course, trailers aren't as much fun as old pick ups ... but they are less trouble. Keep it nice and you can always get much or most of your money back on resale.

9. Rain City

Rain City Member

Thanks guys, you have alot of great input. I think I have a much better idea of what I'm looking for now...:cool2:

10. Mountainman

trailer ???

that's a very good idea Mike

a few years back I sold a super heavy duty motor cycle trailer
    it held 4 bikes -- 3 long and down and then one across the front
    if I remember right I got around 250 dollars for it

a guy was just telling me yesterday he bought a large trailer for 100 bucks

also not much to pay for registration

as we ride those motor bike things

11. loquin

loquin Active Member

Yeah - that Ford 300 CI inline 6 was indestructible. My dad had one with 225K miles on it (but the body was getting shot,) bought a newer truck with a blown engine & swapped the engines. He put another hundred thousand on it, then sold it & downsized to a Ranger when he retired.

I owned a '98 Dodge Dakota extended cab V6 for about 6 years/90K miles, then had to drop nearly $1500 into the front end. Upper & lower ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings... the works. I NEVER took it off road - it wasn't 4 wheel drive. I then heard a lot complaints about the Dodge truck front ends, in both their full sized truck and Dakota. Other than the front end, I liked the Dakota a lot. It had decent power, good mileage, and it was the roomiest of the mid-sized pickups.

I do miss having a truck or trailer.

12. Mountainman

Dakota -- so true

I have one now -- Dakota
    it's been recalled for faulty front end and slipping out of park

now the best of things to be a going wrong !!!

13. mikem

mikem Member

Trailer

Yep ... there's a lot to be said for trailers Mountainman. Once a buddy and I wanted to take our motorcycles to the Great Smokey Mountains. The rental shop wanted about $150 for a week's rental. Instead we went and bought a new trailer for $150 and sold it later for about that much.

Best wishes Raincity ... hope you solve your hauling problem.
    :driving:

14. Rain City

Rain City Member

15. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Kind of funny because at the beginning you were looking for "a cheap" truck. Nice looking Toy you have there!
    Ya just couldn't help yourself eh?
    Good for you! I'm sure you deserved it.

16. LOL I have a play toy work truck I dont drive it much as it uses too much gas it has a warmed over small block with a granny tranny & very low gears in the rear with dual rear tires the bed is steel flatbed with 1 foot sides 9foot long 7 foot wide it is a GMC & price was too right when I was looking for a heavy duty truck I was looking for a 3/4 ton camper special or similar & found it on back roads visiting friends for $800 & snatched that thing up before they had time to think & tires were at 90% in front & rear at 75% but I would have probably been better off finding a 3/4 ton but I have two compact trucks a long bed old Toyota & a short bed Isuzu so I either go big or small.

Later,
    Randy

17. mabman

mabman Member

Set it up with a HHO generator and you'll get some better mileage and performance. And I still bet you got a good deal on that eh? Gotta love the PNW for good deals on clean old rigs. You'll be able to tow a trailer with it also if you need to.

Just one question. Does it have a chainlink steering wheel or a beercan shift knob?

18. Rain City

Rain City Member

What's an HHO generator?

19. fm2200

fm2200 Member

I have a 88 chevy step side short bed with 5.7 aka 350 cu, 225000 on it, only replaced timing chain and not much else worth mentioning. I do all the work myself, front end, etc It's a 5 speed, clutch is 8 years old, fuel body, first fuel injection for chevy, lots of torque more than I could ever really need, but fun to play with. My first chevy truck was a 77 straight 6 automatic real work horse over 250 thousand speedo broke, then one cylinder died. Wife hated the truck, cause it was old so I did not fix it. I will be getting the 88 painted later this year, it's been a real good friend to me. I'm a GM man all my life, would never buy japanese anything, it's killing our economy. I bought both trucks when they were 12 & 10 years old with lots of hard miles on the 88, not well maintained, yet both performed well in spite of the abuse of previous owners.

20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

HHO is also called "Brown's Gas" or hydrogen enrichment. Basically, an HHO generator uses electrical energy produced by the vehicles alternator to disassociate water molecules into a gas mixture which is 2 parts hydrogen to one part oxygen. That gas mix is then fed into the intake fuel system and combusts in the engine.

Sounds kind of circular, doesn't it? Yet it demonstrably increases power and extends fuel mileage substantially in conventionally aspirated IC engines. I looked at those results, and asked - how does it do that - it is merely recycling mechanical energy -> electrical energy -> chemical energy -> mechanical energy, with inherent losses at every step (TANSTAAFL). So, where does the increased power/extended mileage come from?

It isn't simple physics, it is the dynamics of combustion in a small high pressure containment vessel with forced draft loading - plasma physics, if you will. Basically, the HHO does two things initially - it increases the co-efficient of atomization of the liquid fuel in the intake stream by lowering surface tension and resulting in smaller droplet size - which means more of the petroleum based fuel is more completely burned, more quickly. Thus, more power derived from the same fuel charge, and less pollutants produced from incomplete combustion.

Secondly, the burning of hydrogen in oxygen is the most energetic possible chemical reaction - which is why it is used for rocket fuel. Mixed into an intake stream of atomized gasoline, vaporized gasoline, air, and HHO, the Brown's Gas does two things at ignition - it flashes off VERY, VERY quickly indeed, increasing the speed of propagation of the flame front through the fuel charge in the cylinder by a factor of 3X or more. In addition, some portions of the hydrogen gas will chemically react with the vaporized gasoline fuel pre-ignition, hydrogenating the longer chain molecules in the mix preferentially - in effect raising the fuels octane rating substantially.

So. it really isn't "something for nothing" or "free energy". It is plasma physics and small scale industrial chemistry applied in very specific ways. I believe it to be worth doing where possible on IC engines - I intend to so equip my older Corolla as soon as I can afford the components for the system and can see well enough to do the mechanicing. I hope to realize about a 30% increase in mileage, which will put the car over 40mpg, possibly near to 50 mpg.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I hope the explanation helps - I started out very skeptical indeed, and researched the plasma physics involved carefully. My conclusions are above.