Need help looking for a hub dynamo for pedal generator.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Crosshair_84, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Crosshair_84

Crosshair_84 Member

I picked up an exercise bike that I want to convert into a pedal generator for emergency use during power outages. I have generators and a good stock of fuel of course, but they are out in the garage and during a bad blizzard, you're better off keeping your butt inside. I have a small battery bank that I can use for lighting and running my laptop. Having a pedal generator will increase the amount of run time I have before I have to start the generator and run the cord into the house. (Too expensive to set them up to back-feed into my house.)

My thought is that the best option would be to get a hub dynamo and replace the stock wheel on the bike. I was hoping to get something that would put out 50 watts continuous, got to be realistic as to what I can sustain, but everything I find is rated for only 3-5 watts for lighting on a bike. Does anyone have a solution or source for something that would work.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give. I know it's not something people here usually work on.