Exhaust Need help Mounting Exhaust

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by jhendrix, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

Im trying to put on my expansion chamber exhaust on my new bike. Its the bolt on one from gasbike.net, the problem is the pedals get hung up on it so i cant pedal the bike. I went to a bike store to see if they had spacers for the pedals cause i've seen someone do that before but they said the crank wasn't american made and its all one piece so i'd have to replace the whole thing which would cost around 100 bucks according to him. Wondering what i could do or if there's the parts out there that I can do it myself. I attached pictures of what it looks like now. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

If you have the expansion chamber why didn't you put it in the pic as we have no idea which one you have. They all bolt on.........
    The pedals hit? or do the cranks hit?

You can get shorter or wider cranks.....
    Pedal extenders are available.....
    You can convert your one piece crank to a 3 piece...

Nice looking bike. :)

3. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

this is a expansion chamber what you posted is the stock muffler
    Black-Muff.jpg
    how to make it fit... bend the pipe

4. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

Oops ya sorry I forgot to attach the picture of the actual exhaust I will do it when I get home but is there a place to get the new cranks online anywhere

5. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Active Member

Many vendors have them on ebay, boygofast comes to mind, and they certainly don't cost $100.

6. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

ok heres the picture of the actual exhaust, and its actually the crank right where it meets the pedal that clips on the exhaust when I have it installed. sorry bout that

Attached Files:

7. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

Did you try filing the mounting holes to elongate them enough to swivel the exhaust to a position more under the frame?

8. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

how would I do that and still maintain a seal

9. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

10. adrian101

adrian101 Member

it looks like it will be a direct replacement for the clank on your bicycle currently.

11. crassius

never had a problem sealing at the gasket even tho almost all builds will require this modification

the left hole only needs to be elongated an 8th of an inch or so up, and the right hole the same amount down to give you an inch or so extra room at the bottom - even if the opening at the top of the muffler isn't round, this will still give you a decent footprint on the gasket

12. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

13. crassius

I would expect that to work just fine, but when you've got three builds to get out the door real quick, the 2 minute fix just seems better than waiting a week to order a part : )

14. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

Haha yeah I'm not in that big of a hurry but thanks for the help

15. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

whats faster doing the job correctly the first time or having to redo it because you took a short cut and screwed it up. When your getting paid to do a job the only way is the right way or do not take the job!!!

16. crassius

Adding unnecessary parts & labor to the bill is what gives mechanics a bad name - making a part fit properly without damaging it IS the correct way.

On top of that, my customers are dirt-poor and need the cheapest transportation possible - buying another pedal crank is out of the question.

17. IbedaYank

IbedaYank Member

so obstructing the port is the right way... I think NOT
    there is a reason why the better builders match both sides and the gasket.
    You from what I read have not learned why this is done yet. Bending the one piece cranks is easy to do and costs nothing but time.

18. jhendrix

jhendrix New Member

Can you explain about bending the cranks. How to?

19. crassius

Please explain how rotating a round pipe will obstruct a port.