need help (newbie)

Hello my name is Mike I am going to be moving down to costa Mesa in 3 weeks and want something to cruise down to the beach with my surfboard without having to drive my car. I just bought a nerve single speed beach cruiser to convert to gas powered bike. My first plan included some type of 2 stroke motor because they're so simple to work on. I then realized I wanted reliability and longevity. I was thinking of going with the HF 79cc predator 3hp with the Q Matic complete kit from custommotoredbicycles.com. Ideally I would like to cruise at 30 mph without having to ping the motor at max rpm. I have a reputation for blowing motors on my dirt bikes so I figured a bit larger motor at 50-75% output vs smaller motor at 70-90% output would be the smarter idea. Any feedback is much appreciated on motor, trans, and or kits. I have basically 3 weeks to build it and luckily I only work 3 days a week. Words of wisdom?

Welcome aboard.

This is gonna sound like a smart-aleck response. But I swear I don't really mean it that way.

My words of wisdom would be; Go easier on your motors.

Naturally, you don't have to do that just because I say so. But if you'll continue to drive 'em hard, then maybe you should go with the inexpensive 2 cycle engines. Easier to replace.

Back