need help please carb leaking at filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
ready to toss it out a window

im ready to throw my hands up in the air and forget about gas bikes alltogether these pos are nothing but problems. i have a gt5 with nt carb the thing ran beautiful for about a week or so now the gas is comming out the aftermarket filter, it bogs out when i give it gas and the slide in the carb when checked is not sliding smoothly anymore

help needed

That is definitly a float valve issue, you mentioned it ran good then it didnt somthing has changed, my guess would be the valve is staying in the open position which alows gas to continualy flow.
Remove your carb with the bowl on it dump all gas out of it put a hose on the fuel intake
and blow on the hose as your blowing on the hose turn the carb upside down, if its working properly when you turn it upside down the float valve will engage and you wont be able to blow through it.
This process mimicks the fuel rise and fall in the carb your float valve is the only thing that regulates fuel flow in that carb.
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
ready to toss it

One thing that you must get used to with these bikes is the fact that you do have to continually wrench on it.
I have 3,000 miles on mine and a week doesn't go by that i am not fixing or changing somthing.
Take your time do your homework do let it get to you.
You have a stickey float valve in your carb, someone else just posted a similar problem locate that post just above yours and i posted a testing procedure for float valve problems.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
level Headed

Make sure that the carb/engine is mounted in such a way that the carb float bowl is near to level as it can be. Other wise it will only run good when on a steep hill and the float is level where it should be.

Peace and Party on.. Wayne

That post is titled NEED HELP PLEASE

He is aware of that thread....instead of searching he started it. http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=33712

This thread will be merged with it. Introduce yourself is not the place for it.

I suggest reading these threads then searching for more and posting in the relevent thread.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=24867
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=33561

Patience is the key.

Please use the search function and post in the proper forums.

take the float bowl off and make sure that the float has not cocked sideways in the bowl. sometimes with vibration, and the way the float is designed they can cock sideways and get wedged, causing the needle & seat to stay open all the time.

I am having a similar issue with my gt5. Over a few good rides, my air cleaner starts to get caked with fuel until it is entirely saturated. However my bike seems to be running ok. Psycho mentioned something about the float being set to low? I didn't know the float could be adjusted on the NT carbs?

under normal conditions, fuel gets spit back onto the filter - just wash it once in a while

float needs adjusting only if fuel is dripping out of the filter while engine is not running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back