Need Help With Mount

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by dylanpieper, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dylanpieper

dylanpieper New Member

PROBLEM: NEED LONGER SREWS FOR THE MOUNT UNDER THE CARB! AND SOMEWAY TO MOVE THE OTHER SIDE DOWN WITHOUT FILING THE FRAME IN AGIAN. I DNT WANT THAT MOUNT TO BE FILED IN CAUSE THE FRAME IS TO THINK AND THE SREWS DO THE SPLITS OUTWARD!

Hello to all i used to have a account on the old forums and got a new chain and it is working expect one thing. The mount. My bike frame is to wide and tall for the srews and i can't find any longer.

I have one on buy cutting my frame little now i need the one closest to the chain to fit.
    I remember seeing special parts for different mounting solutions.

Please help!
    - Dylan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

2. ENO

ENO Member

Hey Dylan..Eno in Oz..Post some pics so we get a better idea of what you need..then everyone will jump on..Good Luck Eno

3. dylanpieper

dylanpieper New Member

Done :) drry forgot to big in rush ... i loved the feeling (never drove motorcycle before) so i can not wait...!!!!!

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Look at this.....

As far as length, I buy a 1 meter stick of Grade 5 all thread. Any fastener store has or can get it for you, for 6mm it cost less then $3.00. In what you are explaining I'd go with the mount below, as you don't want to install a stud or bolt and try to pry it wider...you can break the engine or pull the threads while trying to do it or while you ride it. If you decide to use all thread, heat and bend it to fit.... OFF the engine. I have experience drilling holes in a frame....won't do it again...split tube in two...I posted pictures.

They are made in many sizes.... http://store.cargotrailersales.com/cargo/details.php?ITEM=3655015

This clamp can be bought or made. One of the vendors sells them, can't remember which one tho...maybe one will jump in....
    Here you go.... http://sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=85

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  5. dylanpieper

dylanpieper New Member

Thanks man! Alot! I love this community, all here to help or be helped :D seems to me no flamers has risen!

good luck to myself :D

6. biketec

biketec Member

WOW thats PINK i had a sweet pink GT PIT like in 91 used decals for models on it. none the less cool man!

7. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

I used . . .

a whomping big C-clamp to gently, but inexorably, squeeze the downtube a little bit where the studs cross the frame. Cut some pads from EPDM roofing or inner tubes and cushion the mount. Once it is painted up and the motor is mounted, it isn't even noticable.

Just go slow and make sure you have the jaws of the clamp perpendicular to your frame.

8. nadroj

nadroj Member

your frame looks ruined. It could easily break in 1/2 now that you have filed it down

9. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Hi dylanpieper

Please, throw your frame away. You mentioned that cutting into your frame was required.

I've put up a post on a saftey related issue with large tube thin walled aluminium frames.
    Basically, don't cut into or deform any aluminium frame - if you have to do this, find another bike frame that will work or find another mounting solution.

Riding the bike with a motorised kit installed on a damaged frame is complete stupidity

The end results can look like this, and far worse in one case i am aware of.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=22898

This gentleman suffered injuries from not wearing a helmet but if your frame breaks and it quite possibly will, your injuries will be many times worse if not wearing a full face motorbike helmet.

Please dylanpieper do not even continue with assembling or intending to ride your bike with a damaged frame.
    Start again with a new undamaged frame - I can't make you do anything but if i could, your frame would be going straight in the rubbish bin; to protect you from injury and pain that may be waiting as a ticking clock, by means of frame failure.

Forgive me for saying that dylanpieper but i am seriously concerned for your saftey.
    These motorised bicycle kits are not toys and should not be treated as toys.
    Because you're wearing so little protective clothing and gear riding a pushbike, the injuries from a preventable accident can be quite horrific.

They are lovely pieces of equipment when treated with the care and respect and intelligent operation they deserve.

Fabian

10. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

former bicycle shop owner MM
    says that one should ((( never file much ))) on any bicycle frame

sounds like you did some filing ???

MM

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Hi Mountainman

Copy and paste the quote

Fabian

12. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

HOLY ****. Do NOT ride that BIKE.

13. dylanpieper

dylanpieper New Member

Yes pablo i learned my lesson on that i wait the extra 4 days for sick bike parts now my gas valve is stripped, what a ****ed up project. :D

14. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Steel frame, hole drilled into ONE side ONLY.....

Attached Files:

15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Al,

Can you give us a better quality photo of the hole and cracked steel frame.
    Maybe use the macro setting on your camera and take the photo in strong sunlight.

I will try and get a photo of my next door neighbours cracked aluminium frame as he tried to secure the Chinese engine kit - it's a good example of what not to do and the potential for serious injury as the frame would very well have a stress failure in service.

Fabian

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

If i had things my way, i would like to see some kind of legislation requiring sellers of motorised engine kits to have their potential customers sit a test/exam requiring them to answer a series of questions, to determin if they have the correct level of competency to safely install the engine conversion, then have the bicycle presented to the retail outlet to verify if it has actually been safely installed.

Like all things where there is a potential for injury and the government with a pure love of "banning" something because there's political mileage or profit involved in forcing people to use accepted methods of transportation, it will only be a matter of time before some people (through their ineptitude or incompetence) wreck the system that allows us to have the freedom to ride motorised bicycles, .

Fabian