Need Help!

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Hal the Elder, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Quenton & others:

While re-routing my compression release cable, the nut that secures the cable housing to the bracket on the engine fell off and became lodged between the flywheel and the engine case.

I can't shake it out by leaning the bike and turning the flywheel, so I tried to remove the flywheel, but after removing the 14mm bolt I can't pull it off, because it probably needs a wheel puller.

I can't reconnect the compression release cable without that nut, so what do I do?

Thanks, everybody...
    HAL

2. seanhan

seanhan Member

you can get

A el cheapo flywheel puller at harbor fright.. like 5 bucks...
    there not that good but ok for a pull or two..

3. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Thanks, Seanhan!

I assume the flywheel is keyed to the crankshaft so the ignition timing is not disturbed...

HAL

4. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Hal dont turn the motor over can damage the stator..Yes it is keyed with standard direction bolt ..Quenton uses A piece of wood and hammer ..Not me I use A puller...Hope this helps...Bill PS Its stuck to the magnet....

5. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

I could kick myself for not realizing that the cable could be re-routed without disconnecting it from the compression-release lever...I discovered later that I could disconnect it from the thumb lever on the handlegrip!

You live and learn, man!
    Hal

6. bill green

bill green Member

Hal That is the learning curve..Bill

7. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

I have pullers, but is a big waste of my time! I have removed at least 200 flywheels [every motor I work on] because the bolts that hold the stator to the case often work lose. I, like Hal, have also managed to drop various nuts, screws, and bolts between the flywheel and case.
    After the bolt is loosened, simply locate a piece of wood from the opposite side and tap with a hammer. The flywheel will easily "pop" loose, and has been the case everytime. A few important things to consider are....... I had to replace a customers flywheel because the puller cracked the pulley, and never use an impact wrench to loosen or tighten the bolt. I realize everyone does it "their" way, so I can only relay what works for me. Wood is cheaper than a puller.

Just remember while you have the flywheel off it is a great time to loosen the screws on the stator and put lots of blue Loc-tite on the threads.

BTW the puller won't help you hold the flywheel when you are tightening the flywheel bolt, but a peice of wood will. Simply wedge a piece of wood between the case and the trigger on the flywheel to stop it from turning during the tightening process.

Have fun,

8. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY QUENTON:

I'm not sure what you meant by the "opposite side". I thought that TWO wedges spaced 180 degrees apart and struck at the same time would be required to "pop" the flywheel loose, much like a flywheel puller.

Here's how I attempted to do it, and I had to remove the gas tank to provide room to insert the wooden wedge and to use the hammer, but it ain't poppin' loose!

Please straighten me out!

Thanks...
    Hal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. Quenton Guenther

Hi Hal,

I quickly took a picture to give you the basic idea. use a smaller piece of wood that will fit under, or over the front spring bar mount. Be sure to loosen the bolt, but don't completely remove it, because you don't want the flywheel to fall off and roll across the floor. Use a hammer and give a good tap [or several if needed]on the end of the wood. The object isn't to wedge the flywheeel off, but rather to make it Pop off.

Hope this helps give you an idea of the angle needed.

Have fun,

Attached Files:

10. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY QUENTON:

I've splintered four stout sticks of wood (pine, plywood, and 2 oak pieces), using first a machinist's ball peen hammer, and then a heavier carpenter's framing hammer.

I've rapped with several blows until the wood split...the flywheel refuses to pop loose.

If I continue with more violent pounding, I'm afraid I may put too much stress on the crankshaft bearing.

Do you think it's time for a puller?

HAL

11. bill green

bill green Member

Hal the wood thing didnt work for me , I got A very good locking jaw puller..Bill

12. Quenton Guenther

Hi Hal,

Sounds like you need to go the puller route.

I have never needed to use a puller, but maybe you have a flywheel that just doesn't understand my way of doing things.

Be very careful not to damage the pulley in the process.

Have fun,

13. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Hal and Quenton I use A locking jaw snap-on puller number CJ86-1 ...Warning its not cheep , but it works great with no damage..Hope this helps....Bill

14. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' FLYWHEEL PULLER!

HEY QUENTON:

I tried one more time to "tap" the flywheel loose with a wood stick, as you showed me in your picture.

Only this time, I LIGHTLY tapped it, instead of using those heavy "John Henry" blows that were splintering my sticks, and after every couple of taps, I ROTATED the flywheel 1/4 turn, and after just one revolution, the wheel popped loose!

Like you said, it only required light taps, but it didn't occur to me to DISTRIBUTE those taps around the circumference of the flywheel.

THAT was the trick that did it...so thanks to you AND to me!

And sure enough, there was that little 6mm nut, stuck to one of the magnetic pole pieces inside the flywheel!

HAL

15. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Hal Glad to hear you got it loose . Now its time to check stator screws....Have fun ..Bill

16. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

HEY BILL:

Yup...did that!

Put Blue Loktite on the threads too.

HAL

17. Quenton Guenther

Hi Hal,

Fantastic!

Hi Bill, I have two of the adustable jaw pullers and about ten other versions, and you are correct some of them cost some serious money.

Have fun,