Need Help!

Hal the Elder

Local time
2:28 PM
Hey Quenton & others:

While re-routing my compression release cable, the nut that secures the cable housing to the bracket on the engine fell off and became lodged between the flywheel and the engine case.

I can't shake it out by leaning the bike and turning the flywheel, so I tried to remove the flywheel, but after removing the 14mm bolt I can't pull it off, because it probably needs a wheel puller.

I can't reconnect the compression release cable without that nut, so what do I do?

Thanks, everybody...
HAL

you can get

A el cheapo flywheel puller at harbor fright.. like 5 bucks...
there not that good but ok for a pull or two..

Thanks, Seanhan!

I assume the flywheel is keyed to the crankshaft so the ignition timing is not disturbed...

HAL

Hi Hal dont turn the motor over can damage the stator..Yes it is keyed with standard direction bolt ..Quenton uses A piece of wood and hammer ..Not me I use A puller...Hope this helps...Bill PS Its stuck to the magnet....

I could kick myself for not realizing that the cable could be re-routed without disconnecting it from the compression-release lever...I discovered later that I could disconnect it from the thumb lever on the handlegrip!

You live and learn, man!
Hal

Hi Everyone,

I have pullers, but is a big waste of my time! I have removed at least 200 flywheels [every motor I work on] because the bolts that hold the stator to the case often work lose. I, like Hal, have also managed to drop various nuts, screws, and bolts between the flywheel and case.
After the bolt is loosened, simply locate a piece of wood from the opposite side and tap with a hammer. The flywheel will easily "pop" loose, and has been the case everytime. A few important things to consider are....... I had to replace a customers flywheel because the puller cracked the pulley, and never use an impact wrench to loosen or tighten the bolt. I realize everyone does it "their" way, so I can only relay what works for me. Wood is cheaper than a puller.

Just remember while you have the flywheel off it is a great time to loosen the screws on the stator and put lots of blue Loc-tite on the threads.

BTW the puller won't help you hold the flywheel when you are tightening the flywheel bolt, but a peice of wood will. Simply wedge a piece of wood between the case and the trigger on the flywheel to stop it from turning during the tightening process.

Have fun,

HEY QUENTON:

I'm not sure what you meant by the "opposite side". I thought that TWO wedges spaced 180 degrees apart and struck at the same time would be required to "pop" the flywheel loose, much like a flywheel puller.

Here's how I attempted to do it, and I had to remove the gas tank to provide room to insert the wooden wedge and to use the hammer, but it ain't poppin' loose!

Please straighten me out!

Thanks...
Hal

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Hi Hal,

I quickly took a picture to give you the basic idea. use a smaller piece of wood that will fit under, or over the front spring bar mount. Be sure to loosen the bolt, but don't completely remove it, because you don't want the flywheel to fall off and roll across the floor. Use a hammer and give a good tap [or several if needed]on the end of the wood. The object isn't to wedge the flywheeel off, but rather to make it Pop off.

Hope this helps give you an idea of the angle needed.

Have fun,

Attachments

• Mvc-140f.jpg
    Mvc-140f.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 183
HEY QUENTON:

I've splintered four stout sticks of wood (pine, plywood, and 2 oak pieces), using first a machinist's ball peen hammer, and then a heavier carpenter's framing hammer.

I've rapped with several blows until the wood split...the flywheel refuses to pop loose.

If I continue with more violent pounding, I'm afraid I may put too much stress on the crankshaft bearing.

Do you think it's time for a puller?

HAL

Back