Need info on Irish music in NY

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by machiasmort, Nov 17, 2009.

1. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Up late tryin to drown myself to sleep, un sucessful! Took my last gulp of Bailey's, all I had left... Happened accross this music on U-tube...

Listen from the 5min mark forward...

I'm a TONY: To NY as my best Irish friend put it... His family played this song in thier many bars on St. Patty's day for 20 yrs. of my life.... He and his family are gone now... I'm left sitting here with the stark reality that the entire family is gone... He was only in his 30's! The rest of his family was older but seemed to die off all at once...

Although I'm a Dago... Le'me just tell ya, I miss the good ole' day's... Would have gotten my but kicked in these places here in Buffalo if I didn't have friends... I really enjoyed this music, and the corned beef they'd cook!

What's the name of that old Irish/Celtic song? I've heard it 100 different ways... Brought a tear to my eye tonight for those old memories... I've heard it done live in their bars out here!

2. safe

safe Active Member

I'm maybe 1/4 Irish at best and at least half German. Recently I've gotten into the Oktoberfests and have realized how awesome "folk" music really is whether from Ireland or elsewhere. I was at the local Irish bar last week chatting with a waitress who shares my worry that there are not enough people interested in becoming musicians in the "folk" songs. It's very sad. It's as though hundreds of years of culture and history are being wiped out so that we become a sort of "Borg Like" consciousness where songs are written by children. (with limited skills)

In the old days they didn't just "have an itch and scratch it" and call it music, they would work and rework the songs hundreds and thousands of times to continuously improve them.

The Irish are some of the best... I had a boss some years back that was from Ireland and he was dedicated to the classic (complex) Irish tunes and he would just play for hours and hours all by memory. Improvisation is okay, but there is a basic outline that you are supposed to follow. This is how the songs "evolve" because each generation preserves the past, but also adds little wrinkles where improvement makes sense. It's not about "change for change sake" but "change where it's an upgrade". If the new idea is not better than the old, then the old is preserved. Most of the time the old is the best.

This issue is a very sad one... the cultural loss we are seeing is tragic.

Fortunately if you go back to Europe or Ireland they still revere their history... so the flame will never go out completely. But in America just expect it to get more and more empty.

Apparently the Bavarian / Austrian dance called the Schuhplattler (literally "Shoe Slapping") can be traced back hundreds of years and it possibly can go as far back as thousands of years. I just find it amazing that certain things can exist for so long. We live in a society where we forget everything...
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. machiasmort

No doubt Safe, much is being lost and quick too.

I think it might be the "Irish polka" but I'm not sure?

One year, 1 Man showed up with a Violin and played that for about a half hour, dancing arround the bar... The crowd was wild, 100's of people dancing...
  4. safe

safe Active Member

Oooooohhhhh.... don't get me started... :grin5:

I love the polka. The old way of dancing was so much better because the man and the woman actually touched and it was fun and not some lame attempt at a bump and grind all the time. It's a real loss that our culture has prevented us from realizing the power of dance. They have these ballroom dancing shows on TV now that are good for people really into the technical aspects of dancing, but just the plain "fun" polka one-two, one-two is something that the masses can do without much training.

Polka works well with beer too... it takes a heck of a lot of beer before your coordination gets bad enough that you can't still polka dance.

At the Oktoberfests the younger people who discover the polka are always amazed at how much like it... so like a virus.... it might seem to be fading out, but it's innate infectious ability means that it can always reinfect people again.

If you notice there is an increase in the use of accordion music and polka music in things like commericals now. There seems to be a willingness to reintroduce it to the public because it's effectively out of sight.

Spongebob Squarepants has a lot of polka music in it:

5. professor

professor Active Member

Mort- over on Abbott (spell) road is an Irish center. South Buffalo has a lot of Irish. Give them a call and see when they have performers playing. You don't have to be Irish :eek:
  6. safe

safe Active Member

7. seanhan

seanhan Member

I take it your not talking about U-2

8. machiasmort

That's exactly the neighborhood you don't want to get caught in if your not a Mc!!! Or at least have red hair! LOL, only joking!

That's where my Buddies family had their roots. I know a lot of good people out there from working at the Plant... That is a tough part of town tho! You don't dare step out of line in one of those bars!
  9. safe

safe Active Member

Rock is sort of like the Borg... the "boom slap" beat has been replacing the "one two, one two" of the polka as well as all the unique folk music around the world.

Irish music can be the polka and it can also be other than the polka. Technically speaking the polka is "new" in that it's only 150 years old. It started in the Bohemian forest as music for gypsies and then spread throughout Europe, adapted to each unique region, then became the standard for about 100 years worldwide. Only in the last 40 years has Rock / Rap pushed it out of the way.

Many of the Irish classic tunes can trace their roots back literally hundreds of years to early Celtic times.

As said above the Schuhplattler goes back many hundreds of years, possibly many thousands of years. The first recorded evidence that the Schuhplattler was being danced was back in around 1000 AD, but people had been living there for thousands of years already.

...the whole idea of "music as culture" has been largely replaced by "music as toilet paper" in that it's something you use once then throw away.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  10. safe

safe Active Member

Bob Dylan Does Polka

Originally written by "Brave Combo" it seems that Bob Dylan has released "Must Be Santa" (a Polka) in his latest work. (for charity)
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  11. safe

safe Active Member

12. safe

safe Active Member

Who's The Santa Really?

You can view and listen to Bob Dylans video "Must Be Santa" and just think that it's a silly video, but you would have missed what Bob Dylan was trying to say. Artists tend to hide their meaning underneath their songs so that they aren't too obvious on the first pass.

Here are some hints:

1. Why is the party in a wealthy mans house?

2. Why is the man who is dressed as a "businessman" chased out of the house?

3. What does the phrase "senators come my way" refer to?

...I was impressed that at such an old age (Bob Dylan is 68 years old) that he was able to be so in tune with current events. (the video is a political parady of the times)

You can download a mpg video here: (for a day or two)

Or YouTube: close attention and play it a couple of times. :cool:

(you will get it eventually)
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009